Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-25-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Flopped a flush OOP 5/10

Villian is laggy but playing well as far as lags go...like 51/12 and capable of big moves. I also have been playing very aggressively, perhaps donkishly so. I've been spewing money like that lately (gotta stop, getting expensive).

This whole hand felt awkward.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|saw showdown</font>

Button ($1745)</font>
SB ($1343.50)
BB ($150)
UTG ($1632.75)
Hero ($1677)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
1 fold</font>, Hero raises to $35</font>, Button calls $35, 2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets $55</font>, Button raises to $145</font>, Hero raises to $400</font>, Button calls $255.

Turn: ($885) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets $450</font>

How is the $450? This is an awkward spot since the pot got too big for the board to pair this early. I'm afraid if I bet smaller, say $200-$250 he would come over the top which is something he's perfectly capable of doing with just the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 11-25-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Flopped a flush OOP 5/10

You're probably only gonna get raised with a better hand, making it an easy fold on turn. But why not just check it on turn if he's gonna bet it anyways. You can keep the pot controlled to a better extent and get value on any non spade river.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're probably only gonna get raised with a better hand,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily against this opponent. He's laggy, not taggy.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is the $450? This is an awkward spot since the pot got too big for the board to pair this early. I'm afraid if I bet smaller, say $200-$250 he would come over the top which is something he's perfectly capable of doing with just the A .

[/ QUOTE ]
Betting roughtly 1/2 the pot seems like a decent bet to me if you don't want him to draw out on you with the ace. But, if he has perceived you to be recklessly aggressive, he might call you whatever you bet.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is the $450? This is an awkward spot since the pot got too big for the board to pair this early. I'm afraid if I bet smaller, say $200-$250 he would come over the top which is something he's perfectly capable of doing with just the A .

[/ QUOTE ]
Betting roughtly 1/2 the pot seems like a decent bet to me if you don't want him to draw out on you with the ace. But, if he has perceived you to be recklessly aggressive, he might call you whatever you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting half the pot on the turn when a scare card comes out of position is practically begging a LAG to bluff-raise you here. The worry isn't whether villain will chase the nut flush. It's whether hero will have to make a decision for all his chips by the river with a J-high flush on a paired board.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:17 PM

raise more on the flop, to say $350 more on top of his raise, your hand is vulnerable and playing it fast will look like a semibluff anyway

the turn plays itself if you get more money in earlier, but with the line you took, are you planning on folding to an all in? i dont see how that is possible

against this player i would rather bet even weaker than you did to induce a bluff that seemed to have more fold equity with more money remaining in your stack

against a really tight player i check fold to a real bet

in between (like semilag/tag) is really hard and i probably go broke to a boat almost always