Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 04:54 PM

Default I might buy a Nissan Pathfinder SE. Your thoughts?

A new 2005 one. Good idea? It has 4WD, not AWD. Is there a big difference between the 2? Does it perform well (safely) in the snow? I've always driven compact cars so I have no idea about the AWD/4WD stuff and don't really have time to investigate a ton.

It has the comfort package and the convenience package. I should be able to get it for ~$27,500. Think I can go lower?

Your opinions please!

Thank you,
HEK

ps...yeah I know all about vehix and edmunds.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: I might buy a Nissan Pathfinder SE. Your thoughts?

I wrote out this long post that comes down to this: after having driven a 4Runner, leasing a Pathfinder, and then going back to the 4Runner, I think a 4Runner is a much better buy as far as comparable SUVs go. Much of this is personal preference, but I thought the 4Runner was much more dependable and of generally higher quality.

I still drive a 4Runner, but my experience with the Pathfinder was in the late '90s.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:20 PM

The difference between AWD and 4WD is that in AWD the computer will control the traction and provide power to the wheels that are gripping as needed.

4WD is when you can manually select it so that all four wheels are driving simultaneously. Typically the AWD thing is all you'll ever need on normal roads, but if you're off-roading or there's significant snow/ice on the road it's nice to have the full time four-wheel drive.

As a rule modern SUVs (including the 05 Pathfinder) gives you the ability to switch between three modes: normal AWD (providing traction to whatever wheels need it), 4WD high (for normal driving during bad conditions) and 4WD low (for off-roading and really extreme bad conditions, like going up/down steep hills with very snowy/icy conditions).

All in all the Pathfinder is a very nice vehicle, particularly the 2005s which are much larger than previous models. Nissans are usually top-notch in quality, close or even with Honda and Toyota, while costing and re-selling for slightly less comparatively. Not a bad choice.

Swede
Old 11-22-2005, 05:23 PM

I've had Nissan's for the last 20 years....I have an Xterra now - love it. the Pathfinders are great cars, but I would go with a new Xterra if you don't need all the room and size of a Pathfinder. The new Xterra's are Motertrend (or Car and Driver's) SUV of the year....

But for 27,500....you can't go wrong with the Pathfinder.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:28 PM

what about the highlander?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:48 PM

ive been in the car bus for 15 yrs. i would much rather have a 4runner. i just believe it to be an all around better vehicle. Are you leasing or buying? Leasing should run about the same price. Buying the 4runner costs more but you will get a ton for it when you trade it in.
sincerely
bud
Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 PM

I like my 4Runners because they aren't a ridiculous size. I also really like the look of the older body style, and with Toyota's reliability, older ones still have relatively low maintenance.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about the highlander?

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove the highlander and the HL is sweet. The interior and general feel is nicer than the Pathfinder. But the PF drives less like a truck than the HL. Since I've always been a car guy, I favor the PF in that way. If the HL drove move like the PF, I would chose the HL.

Is the Pathfinder good in the snow?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:29 PM

Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 PM

huh?