Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-19-2005, 02:49 AM

Default a quick PF checkup... 7 hands submitted ofr your consideration

So... I'm still refining my PF PLO play... Where to limp in, where to call a raise, re-raise, fold, etc... the following are some choices that i was/am unsure of. Did i make the right (optimum) moves? why or why not? are there any "it's not hold'em it's omaha, dummy!" mistakes in here?

PL 50 weak, passive, loose, sometimes completly clueless players in these games- so i tend to play some VREY marginal hands while in position, assuming the donks will pay off often enough... this approach gets me in big trouble sometimes, though.

1: Have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in cutoff, UTG rises to $1.50, three callers, i call

2: Have A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in LP. every damn player limps. i pot it for $4

3: have 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in EP, UTG and UTG+1 fold, i limp. MP player raises to $2, three callers, i close the action by calling

4: have 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in LP- i have a 350BB stack (it was a good table). UTG limps, TAG player (who is quite a bit better than me, imo) UTG+1 has a 240BB stack and bets pot $2, one L/P player calls, i re-pot it for $5

okay.. some PL $200... better players tighten up my standards a lot more in PLO (vs HE)... i really have NO business playing PLO this high yet, but i broke that guy in hand #4 above, and took a shot (or two... heh)

5: Had A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP with an @130BB stack. scary, solid TAG UTG+1 (250BB mountain of chips) limps, I bet $5, two call, LAG button (@60BB stack) bets pot $18, UTG+1 CALLS. lacking sidecards, I fold. weak/tight?

6: have Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. three limpers, i raise pot for $5, BB re-raises to $10, one call, i call. W/T? heh...

7: have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. EVERYONE limps. getting 17-1 on my wek suited ace, i call another $.50.

SO:
I feel that all of these moves were at worst marginal choices, but, as i have a lot to learn about PLO still, so i may be missing some important stuff... lemme have it. It'd be nice if those that responses would be like: "hand 1, i call, 2, fold" etc... quick answers with maybe an in depth comment on the one that jumps out at you....

thanks!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Re: a quick PF checkup... 7 hands submitted ofr your consideration

here's what I think (followed by instant difference of opinion from the more experienced gallery)

Hand 1--I think it's okay given the right table that'll pay it off if you hit.
Hand 2--I'm always raising this if everyone limps.
Hand 3--okay
Hand 4--I'm not a fan of 6789--I don't like this connecting hand because it has to have a 5 or a 10 on the board.

But if the flop is the lower part of the straight and someone flopped the nuts with you--you've got good redraw power.

Hand 5--ugh without anything suited or really connecting I'd probably fold this as well given it would be hard for me to play postflop (assuming a total miss)
Hand 6--the raise/call is okay since this is easy to play postflop.
Hand 7--17 to 1 odds on a 6% flush possibility plus a straight possibility? Are you kidding about this call? It's automatic.

I'm sure the more experienced players will help you out better than I did. Reading this will hold you over till they show up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2005, 03:23 AM

hand 5, i'd say at very least call. i'd probably repot(or just under so an all in by the LAG will reopen betting) it since the LAG will probably raise all in and UTG may fold

hands 2, 6, 7 are standard
3 = fold
4 = good play due to stack sizes and TAG will probably put you on a big pair or broadway
1 = depends on the table(do you think you will be paid off)
Old 11-19-2005, 03:32 AM

The only one I don't like is the dry AAxx hand.

W/R to the other poster and 6789 I think thats a great place to get busy with deep stacks. Though, I agree, 5678 would be more fun.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:44 AM

Thanks for taking the time...

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 1--I think it's okay given the right table that'll pay it off if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
...which is the only reason i did it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3--okay

[/ QUOTE ]
I assumed it was... unfourtunatly, i flopped quads and slowplayed it... right into someone's straight flush. "What? you're re-raising?! I re-re-raise you!" i thought, dancing in my chair as the pot reached about $170... "ship it, baby!... wait a minute.. whaaaa? GOD DAMN OMAHA!"

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 5--ugh without anything suited or really connecting I'd probably fold this as well given it would be hard for me to play postflop (assuming a total miss)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... especially when i'd be OOP against a pretty solid LAG. it's so hard to tell when aces are still good postflop in PLO, especialy against these players. If it was in the $50 game, where i think i can generally outplay the opponents, i'd probably call it- but these guys were both better players than I am(yet...).
Old 11-19-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

W/R to the other poster and 6789 I think thats a great place to get busy with deep stacks. Though, I agree, 5678 would be more fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good example of what i was getting at in another post... re-raising a raiser to tie them on if i make something good. he re-potted it PF, i called. pot: $30, flop came out 993 with two spades... beautiful. he checked, i led with a pot size bet, he C/R-re-pots it, i called.

With $180 in the middle, the 7 of spades made him the nut flush on the turn- and filled me up. we got the rest in, the river was a brick, and i dragged my biggest pot yet in a PLO game.

it almost made me feel better about losing to a SF with flopped quads earlier... almost. apologies for the bad beat content, but, damn... funny stuff happens in PLO.

BTW, i got eaten alive in the $200 game. Though i was only slightly outmatched by the better players at the table, i missed some draws and made a couple crying calls- Though I felt good abouut losing only $150 or so, I went back to the $50 game with my tail between my legs.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:50 AM

Every hand fine except 5...have a look at stack sizes...if you mini raise will LAG raise again? If you reraise the pot, will there only be one bet left on the flop? In those cases you should raise as appropriate.

gl

dd
Old 11-20-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every hand fine except 5...have a look at stack sizes...if you mini raise will LAG raise again? If you reraise the pot, will there only be one bet left on the flop? In those cases you should raise as appropriate.

gl

dd

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Dave 100%. And despite weak-tight advice some would give, you should indeed be raising and occasionally reraising with non-AA hands. Otherwise you will be too easy to read. When you raise preflop with something like A877ds and the flop comes 742r, often someone really puts you on AA only and thinks coming over the top with a trash hand with 72 in it or a draw will get you to lay down. I've made a lot of money in these types of situations.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 5, i'd say at very least call. i'd probably repot(or just under so an all in by the LAG will reopen betting) it since the LAG will probably raise all in and UTG may fold

[/ QUOTE ]

i think my position is key here, had i been between the LAG and the TAG, i'd be happy to re-pot to isolate, but i don't think it would have worked where i was at... a re-pot would just scream "aces!"...

...and a call is out of the question: my hand is so uncoordinated, unless i flop an ace, i'll basicly have to give it up... given the opponents hand ranges and aggression, my poor position, etc... unless i can get it all in PF i fold.

[ QUOTE ]
hands 2, 6, 7 are standard
3 = fold
4 = good play due to stack sizes and TAG will probably put you on a big pair or broadway
1 = depends on the table(do you think you will be paid off)

[/ QUOTE ]

2,6,7- yup. good.
3- fold right off the bat (no limp) or fold when it gets back to me? i would have folded to the raise, but i could close the action and thus didn't have to worry about re-raises, and was getting 7-1 at that point...
4- i thought so too. like beset said, a good time to get busy with deep stacks.
1- yes. they will pay... and they did. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

thanks!