Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.
Default KQs, how was this hand ?

i didn't have many hands played at this table but enough to see UTG seemed loose.

Ultimate Bet 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, UTG calls.

River: (14.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

my thought process (likely flawed, since i suck and am still learning) was to cold-call preflop (rather than reraise, which is what i'd normally have done) in hopes of more action.

flop - pot was big so i called
turn - i reraise for value and semi-bluff ?
river - hit a K and pretty sure i had the hand.

thoughts ? terrible ? acceptable ?
thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

edit: thinking back now, since i knew UTG was loose i think i should have reraised to isolate.? a big part of why i chose to call , is that i had just got done reading something about the benefit of playing KQs this way occasionally (at least i thought i did, but i'm dumb) and that affected my decision preflop, also i think i am too aggressive in my play and trying to fix that and it seemed a good thing at the time.
most concerned with flop/post-flop though.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: KQs, how was this hand ?

Your turn raise is not for value, and is not a good semi bluff.

Rest of the hand is fine.

Edit: Woah missed preflop. Fold this preflop. Damn, I don't know why I assumed it was a normal preflop. That makes the flop not so good either.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 PM

No poker in OO...

Wait a minute. This isn't OOT. Gorie plays poker?

Just giving you a hard time [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for the hand, you should seldom be the first to cold call. Ever. If you don't have a good sense for what UTG is raising, I'd probably fold, really. I'd want another cold caller or two before I cold call.

That flop is probably a fold given that there's a cap preflop. All your outs are horribly dirty, even in this giant pot. You might be drawing to your backdoor flush only.

On that turn, I just call. You're not folding the field with your semibluff. It's not a semibluff unless you can fold them all. You're better off just seeing the river for cheap.

Since you made it to the river, this is good. I guess your raise probably folded MP's AK, which saved the day. I think that you lucked out pretty fiercely on this hand.

ps. SIIHP. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 09:36 PM

I think you should have 3-bet preflop if you put him as loose. How loose though? I also disagree with that the outs are tainted. The flop call isnt bad. You got more than enough odds to call that. Now the turn is interesting. I think this play is good if you have some folding equity from AK, AQ, small pps AND its HU.

The problem is that eventhough you fold out 2 people I dont think you are good enough without improving on the river. So I would probably call trying for overcalls.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:49 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

thanks for the replies, makes sense.

to explain my preflop - normally i would reraise here, i thought i knew better than to be the first to cold call. anyway, i will now be smart enough to also fold here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

but i had just got done reading some HEPFAP on early position before playing and this was stuck in my head at the time
"if you follow the above guidlines you will mainly be playing only group 1 and 2 hands against and early position raiser. however, against the aforementioned loose raiser you should go ahead an dplay AQ, 99, and 88, and probably reraise with them. (you should also be reraise with the group 1 and group 2 hands with the exception of AJs and KQs which are still best to just call with)."

of course, i forgot the emphasized part "for this to be correct your judgement must be accurate. if you are not sure it is probably best to throw these additional hands away".

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 10:04 PM

I don't think the preflop cold call is that bad at all. SSH recomends cold calling KQs from early position, I'm assuming this means sometimes before there are even 2 people in. however, depending on your read you can definitely make the case for a fold or 3-bet.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:14 PM

I'd fold this one preflop unless i have a good read on UTG.

The flop call is close, but i think it is ok. If you count your overcards as 2.5 outs, then you do have about 4 outs with your bdfd. I think that is enough even against those preflop raises.

The pot is extremely large and you do have chances to win it.

SSHE says in large pots you should continue even when you suspect you are drawing dead.

The turn-raise isn't for value. It's not good to semi-bluff here either. But there's something that just came up in my mind and i'm not sure if my thinking is correct, but:

1. With your fd the pot is large enough to call.

2. Even if UTG 3-bets you have to pay 3 bets to win a pot of at least 13.75, giving you 4.58:1.

3. CO and/or (more likely) MP1 easily could have AK or AQ.

Point 1 forces you to not fold.

Point 2 says you don't have to fear UTG 3-betting too much.

So what does point 3 tell you?

Well if one or both really do have AK and/or AQ, your raise might buy you 2 (maybe even 4) outs, if it makes them fold those hands.

This raise could win you the hand!!!

Any opinions on that?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your turn raise is not for value, and is not a good semi bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think this is good, because we can buy some K outs. It's value in the sense that MHIG when we fold MP1's AK.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:10 PM

Are we buying enough clean outs to be worth the amount of money we are losing with this raise? I really doubt it.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we buying enough clean outs to be worth the amount of money we are losing with this raise? I really doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I'm folding twice preflop, and I'm calling this turn.

You're going to lose a lot of money getting 3-bet on this turn as well.

Edit: I can be enticed to check behind on the river too.