Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: $22: Abandoning AKo at 10/15 in early position

In the first lvl (blinds 10/15, party) I've had AKo 17 times in the first 3 positions after the blinds (UTG, UTG+1 and UTG+2).

Chips won: t2760.
Average pr hand: t162.

Very small samplesize. Actually not useful at all.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:57 AM

Yeah, small sample size. But, hey, you earned about 11 BB per hand! Not too shabby.

However, let's assume you hit you A or K the next two hands and go or are put all-in and lose both hands to river suck-outs. Then you are back to 0. Variance!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise your continuation bet gets raised

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's fair to say that a c-bet is an unprofitable move with AKo, and I also don't think it's fair to say that a c-bet gets raised whenever an A or K do not hit.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Misread it. 65-80.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you're talking about $22 tournaments and 10/15 blinds, I'm guessing that you're working with Party structure. In that case, I think open raising from early position for 65-80 is too much. I know that you're trying to get as few opponents as possible so that you can manage flops where you whiff. But as you noted, even heads up it's difficult to control things out of position. I usually raise less (3BB + 1 BB/limper in front of me). If I get 2+ callers I'm happy playing AK for TPTK value and running away from missed flops. If I get one caller I am much happier c-betting since the pot will be much smaller than if I had raised more.

Against poor opponents ($22 tourneys on Party qualify) my feeling is that the bulk of the value of AK is that you can stack off ALL weaker aces when and A hits. You can achieve this without large preflop raises.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:07 AM

Maybe I was unclear. I wasn't saying that these happened all the time, just all of the factors in aggregate made me raise the question.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:14 AM

Hmm. My only concern with that is at 45 chips (assuming no other early limper) that's giving a lot of implied odds to small pairs and suited connectors when there's callers. I agree that cracking smaller aces is where a lot of the value is, but the odds aren't great of having one, an opponent having one and one hitting the flop. In my experience at the $20's (could be skewed I suppose), this situation seldom arises (maybe AQ v. AK or AJ v. AK occasionally).
Old 11-15-2005, 11:18 AM

That's a good point; Stack depth could heavily influence this.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. My only concern with that is at 45 chips (assuming no other early limper) that's giving a lot of implied odds to small pairs and suited connectors when there's callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you worried about here? Opponents playing crappy hands and then beating you if you hit TPTK and the other 2 cards on the flop happen to nail the opponents hand?

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that cracking smaller aces is where a lot of the value is, but the odds aren't great of having one, an opponent having one and one hitting the flop. In my experience at the $20's (could be skewed I suppose), this situation seldom arises (maybe AQ v. AK or AJ v. AK occasionally).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise smaller, you will get called by more weak A and weak K who will be so glad that they hit TP that they are going to hand you lots of chips.

I understand your frustration from not "cleaning up" with AK. You will notice that a lot of the posts on here are about playing AK. Why do you think that is? I think that there are two reasons.

One is that it's really not a very easy hand to play, as you've noted.

Secondly, people tend to think of it (or at least react to it emotionally) like AA and KK and QQ. That is, it is part of the very narrow class of hands that you're happy to see in level 1. You have to remember that it is going to lose a lot more often than those hands, and it much harder to play. QQ-AA have strength because you can raise like a maniac and keep on raising and calling raises on every street with those hands and you'll come out pretty good. The same can't be said for AK. To get the value out of AK, you've got get weaker As and Ks to call preflop, and get them to pay you off when they hit their top pair. It's not easy, but I think that you can do better than your current approach which seems to force out a lot of weaker A and weaker K with big preflop raises and then handcuffs you on the flop when the pot is big in relation to your stack. AK is tougher than it looks. I suggest reducing your preflop raises and then trying to manage things on the flop. Post lots of these hands since they're going to tricky. But in the long run you'll turn AK into a valuable level 1 hand, even from early position.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:31 AM

Hmm. I will ponder this some more.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:39 AM

I raise the same amount whether I have AA, AK or 72o. T60-65 is my standard raise in lvl 1 regardless of position.