Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-15-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Raising standards for loose, small games... (noobish Q)

I've had some fantastic winrates playing .25/.50 and .50/1 PLO lately. However, i think i'm leaving money on the table... being only a dabbler (albeit a skilled one) in the game, don't really know what the standards are for raising/calling/re-raising a raiser...

of course, i know to raise suites aces, big broadways, etc... but that's as deep as i've gone...

Has there been a good/helpful thread about what to raise with/ call with/ re-raise/ etc in loose PLO games? specifically, one aimed at small, weak/passive games ($200 buy-in or less on party or the equivalent, i suppose), that someone would link me to? helpful tips appreciated, too...

tyia.

B
Old 11-15-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Raising standards for loose, small games... (noobish Q)

[ QUOTE ]
being only a dabbler (albeit a skilled one) in the game, don't really know what the standards are for raising/calling/re-raising a raiser...

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone see anything oxymoronic here...

Try this site
Old 11-15-2005, 02:20 PM

Ok well first off if you don't know hands acceptable to be raising with then i don't see how your "skilled" at the game.

But to answer your question..

Just stick to raising with Big Wraps and double suited AA and KK and you should be fine in that loose of a game. But of course position is relative at all times when raising in OPL as with any game.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
being only a dabbler (albeit a skilled one) in the game, don't really know what the standards are for raising/calling/re-raising a raiser...

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this site

[/ QUOTE ]

Also...what is the difference between raising a raiser and re-raising a raiser?

To answer your question, it depends heavily on your post flop abilities. I don't think that there is a chart that will effectively answer your questions. Play hands that you are comfortable playing. Few hands in omaha are sizable favorites over another preflop.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All that was said was raise/bet/re-raise the raiser, which is perfectly valid. You bet into an empty field, raise a better and reraise a raiser. There is no logical flaw.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All that was said was raise/bet/re-raise the raiser, which is perfectly valid. You bet into an empty field, raise a better and reraise a raiser. There is no logical flaw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it depends how you translate it as far as whether or not it is a logical flaw, although I'll admit upon closer reading that your translation is just as good as mine (raise/call/reraise as a blanket statement for "a raiser").

However, if you take it your way, then the "a raiser" part is superfluous. Who else would you re-raise?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:52 AM

Big pairs with good sidecards
4 broadway cards with at least 1 suit
3 broadway cards with at least 1 suit and a nearby straight or wheel card
4 in a row straight hands with at least 1 suit but not 3 to the same suit
2 pair hands with at least 1 suit, assuming you can fold bottom set if necessary

And don't raise with anything that isn't strong enough or where the effective stack sizes won't allow you to call 1 moderate reraise.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:54 AM

Default GEEZ! okay here\'s a specific thought..

Wow... there's a bunch of NITS on this board:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok well first off if you don't know hands acceptable to be raising with then i don't see how your "skilled" at the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, C'mon. you'd think the forum would give a guy with almost 3k posts a little benifit-of-the-doubt, or at least TRY to understand my intent as opposed to attacking my syntax (was posted at 4:20 AM, fer crying out loud). *sighs*

Here:
[ QUOTE ]
being only a dabbler (albeit a skilled one) in the game,

[/ QUOTE ]

not: ['am a dabbler' + 'am skilled'] but rather: ['am skilled, for a dabbler[/i]']... geez. I'm not claiming to be sammy-freakin-farha here, just a guy that plays most of the other games well (O/8, LHE, NLHE, 7cs, 7/8)... I wasn't looking for "raise this, fold that to a raise"- sry if i gave that impression. I was looking for insight/discussion/etc...

here's a starter:

in PLO, I like to (sometimes) re-raise weak players when they show strength (esp when they're screaming 'aces') and the hero's probably behind PF... only in position, of course...

I find that there are a lot of players in the smaller games, esp the .25/.50 and .50/1 have a standard range for calling raises, but ONLY open-raise aces and maybe their big broadways like KKQTss... so, easy to read... If the stacks are deep, sometimes i like to bump/min-re-raise their raise with hands that are good for cracking aces... these same weak players generally won't re-raise without a monster..

three reasons:

A: to isolate them
B: to tie them on if i hit
C: to make the pot big enough to fire off a worthy bluff if they seem weak
D: to get control of the hand

you think the advantages that re-raising a probable pair of aces from position could offset the loss of implied odds/ threat of re-raises that it entails? it seems to be a powerful weapon, but, like i said, i'm a dabbler. are there any omaha or PL specific concepts that would come into play here?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: GEEZ! okay here\'s a specific thought..

FWIW I consider you the best player in a certain game on a certain site, so theres some respect.

I like BluffThis's post. The thing that's sticking out in my mind is bumping someone who you almost for sure know has AAxx is they usually try and get as much money in as possible, so as he mentioned do it only with hands that can stand the heat or that you're deep enough with implied odds.

Position is king here for a reraise IMO.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: GEEZ! okay here\'s a specific thought..

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that's sticking out in my mind is bumping someone who you almost for sure know has AAxx is they usually try and get as much money in as possible, so as he mentioned do it only with hands that can stand the heat or that you're deep enough with implied odds.

Position is king here for a reraise IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

like they say... location, location, location...

and, yes... deep stacks. Though... with poor players that tend to get tied on to the pot it's the same thing... implied odds and effective stacks... Bluffthis:

[ QUOTE ]
And don't raise with anything that isn't strong enough or where the effective stack sizes won't allow you to call 1 moderate reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]