Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-07-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Need advice--LV weeklong tourney trip

This is a X-post from the News, etc. forum. I realized this forum is more appropriate, especially as I'm not a well known poster or famous player. Originally posted in News, etc.

I'm going to Vegas tomorrow for about a week to play various tournaments they offer during the week, including the 500 buy in daily tournament at Bellagio.

I'm happy with buy ins as low as 40, but will definitely play a few of the 500 dollar buy in events at Bellagio and probably Wynn (since I heard they have this same buy in). I'll have enough bankroll to play as many tournaments as I want, but don't plan on going over 500+40 unless I cash well in an earlier event.

I was curious what people's experiences have been with these daily tournaments and style of play. I'm pretty comfortable adjusting to a wide variety of playing styles.

How would you spend a week playing tournaments exclusively the whole time? What do you think of the various cardrooms and tournaments?

I have some live tournament experience (probably a dozen including 2005 ME), have read HoH 1/2, TPFAP, Caro's Book of Tells, and am comfortable playing in these tournaments, but do expect to be outplayed by more seasoned competition.

I'd also enjoy meeting a few LV 2+2ers. PM me.

Benjamin
Old 11-07-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Need advice--LV weeklong tourney trip

Even if you have a +EV, tournaments can be crapshoots based upon the structure and variance. If the levels are not long the blinds can catch up to you fast. Plus, if you don't get cards or get unlucky, even making the right plays cash can be short.

I can understand playing a few tourneys, but playing them exclusively is only good if you could go off for a lot more playing ring games. If you are +EV in ring games, you should give them a shot, since stack size is less important and the blinds won't kill you if you don't get good cards for a few hours.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Need advice--LV weeklong tourney trip

I appreciate the advice, but I didn't set the itinerary. I'm aware of the crapshoot nature of tournaments. I've made peace with it.