Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Why can\'t Party run their 350K and the Semi\'s at the same time?

[ QUOTE ]
The worst part is, in reality, this won't really cause me to play any less on PP. The action is too good.

God damn, I feel dirty.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup
Old 11-06-2005, 04:44 PM

I guess I am not the only one who strongly prefers Party multis to Stars? I basically don't play the bigger ones at stars but might break down today.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 PM

As far as the monster-field Sunday tournaments go, I think I have a higher EV in Party tournaments, but Stars tournaments are more fun and more realistic.

Party tournaments are some kind of bastard child of Pot Limit Hold Em (no antes) and the blackhole that is Party's software. That's not a complaint, just an observation.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:54 PM

I completely agree the no antes changes everything. I have worked my way pretty deep in at least 3-4 huge Party multis being able to pick my way through without having to win a lot of coinflips because the money was deep enough. I don't feel like I can do the same at Stars. I feel Party's format fits my style better, perhaps hyper aggressive players do better at Stars.

I think your PLHE comment is excellent. I kind of think of it the same way, a bastardized PLHE where you can still push where short.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The worst part is, in reality, this won't really cause me to play any less on PP. The action is too good.

God damn, I feel dirty.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup

[/ QUOTE ]

yupyup
Old 11-06-2005, 05:04 PM

I've had much more success on Party then Stars. I suppose it could be the fact I can play a more patient game with no antes.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:14 PM

hey fishy get these sngs going. Everytime you sit to play the 1k and 2ks fill up.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:48 PM

I searched the tournament lobby for 10 mins looking for the tournament. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2005, 06:14 PM

Or....looked at another way....we just aren't aggressive enough (especially at about 2-3 hours in) to compete successfully in the Stars tourneys (I too do better in the Party tourneys and seem to prefer the no-ante style).

I'm not a huge fan of huge weekend multi's in general so I'm not bothered by their absence. But I can understand why Party did this.
They want as many of the major tourney players to play the semi's INSTEAD. They need to fill that freaking boat or else they lose money.
doesn't matter that lots of players can play both.
There were LOTS of people that signed-up for the semi's today that probably would not have if they had a $350k-guaranteed to play instead.
Si I understand their logic but also understand why the big-sunday tourney players would be ticked.

FWIW - I think there's some serious EV to these semi's because fo the extra starting-chips.
As shaniac pointed out...not everyone knows how that extra starting-chip thing works.
There are quite a few players who win their way in via a satellite who STILL don't know about the extra starting-chip thing very much and then are surprised when they arrive at the semi-final and their stack size is 1/3 that of everyone else's.

Average starting stack for these is generally around 2400-2500. So the EV gained by having 3k in starting chips isn't huge....but combine that with some of the awful play and it really ain't that bad a deal.

On top of that...the cruise is freaking GREAT (and the field in the tournament ON the cruise itself is about as fishy as any other party tourney...90% of the 735 players qualified online last year).

All of these are reasons why I was in all 4 of these semi's this weekend (if you include the one on Thursday that was cancelled).

I was also in all 4 of them back in Sept.
And I still haven't won a damn seat yet (couple close calls though...oh well).

As for this tournament...I leanred yet again that AA sucks (lost to set of 6's) but have sense made a comeback all the way to 2400 in chips (after starting with 3k). Yippee.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They want as many of the major tourney players to play the semi's INSTEAD. They need to fill that freaking boat or else they lose money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm. then why did they close registration over an hour early for the semis?

[ QUOTE ]
There were LOTS of people that signed-up for the semi's today that probably would not have if they had a $350k-guaranteed to play instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously, highly doubt that it would have impacted the turnout drastically. That boat is filling up with or without a 350K tournament on 11/05/05. P