Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Has the World Gone Mad?

In a little while I have to take my daughter to an open house for a pre-school. She's EIGHT MONTHS OLD. We have to start doing this now because we need to get on a list for the transitional program, which gets you first in line for the preschool, which gets you priority for elementary (this is all private, obviously). This is one of the most economically sane private schools in LA. It's more than $10,000/year.

Is every place like this, or just LA? When I was a kid, you grew up, went to the school where you lived when you were old enough, and there you go. THERE'S GOING TO BE AN INTERVIEW PROCESS FOR [censored] PRE-SCHOOL. And everybody says you just CAN'T send your kid to public school in LA because there are a million kids, few teachers, and nobody speaks English.

It's just LA, right? Jesus, I have to get the [censored] out of here.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Has the World Gone Mad?

Nope, its the same where I live. You can not go to public school here, its terrible. My mom taught at teh private preschool I went to, so that was semi cheap, and no wait list. Otherwise I had 12 years of catholic private school. Highschool was just about as expensive as college.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a little while I have to take my daughter to an open house for a pre-school. She's EIGHT MONTHS OLD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure she stands up straight, opens her mouth widely to answer the questions, and uses bullet points.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus, I have to get the [censored] out of here.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what's stopping you? If this place is $10k/yr, and you're going to have to pay for 13 years of education, then college, it sounds like it would be mighty expensive to stay based on school alone. Surely your earning potential isn't that much higher in LA than it would be anywhere else.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely your earning potential isn't that much higher in LA than it would be anywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, it is. I work in the entertainment industry and my experience would be very difficult to translate into other fields. This point will be essentially moot once I decide that money is 100% less important that raising a sane child.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:08 PM

No...it's like that everywhere. I had to take an interview to get into kindergarten, and that was back in 1985.