Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-04-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Party points for the homeless (OT)

[ QUOTE ]
Thats exactly what I think when I see a bum with a 40 at 2 PM on a wednesday, despite your views on poker, a lot of people do not view it as an admirable enterprise, and would react negatively to a bum decked out in partypoker gear. To Captain Politically Correct who took issue with my "out of line" usage of bum, these people go around asking for a handout, in my mind that constitutes a bum. I think any handout would be better served going to some hurricane victims or something rather than random homeless people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that no homeless people are bums. I understand (though don't agree) why you don't want to help out someone with a drinking problem. But is it your opinion that all homeless people are also alcoholics? Or even that the majority are? Do you think that all homeless people are unemployed? Do you think that all homeless people want to be unemployed (I'll grant that some might, but do you think all or most do?).

What about homeless children? Disabled war veterans? People with mental disabilities? They are all bums?

Are professional poker players bums? If not, why not? Is a guy who spends all his time playing on Party Poker contributing more to society than a person who works a menial job but doesn't have a home?

How am I being politically correct? I am simply correcting your rude and flawed assumptions, so I'd say I'm just plain correct.

Oh, you are OK with hurricane victims? They are not bums? What if they were on public assistance before the hurricane? Did the storm blow away their 'bum'-ness? People rendered homeless by the hurricane are not bums?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:59 PM

[quoteThats exactly what I think when I see a bum with a 40 at 2 PM on a wednesday, despite your views on poker, a lot of people do not view it as an admirable enterprise, and would react negatively to a bum decked out in partypoker gear. To Captain Politically Correct who took issue with my "out of line" usage of bum, these people go around asking for a handout, in my mind that constitutes a bum. I think any handout would be better served going to some hurricane victims or something rather than random homeless people.

[/ QUOTE ]
At least %95 of the mainstream population is completely unaware that online poker even exists and of that %5 that does,only a some of them would be against it and a good chunk of them would look down on the homeless anyway.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:21 PM

barry greenstein donates all tournament winnings to charity. i would say thats something noble a poker player has done for society, but thats just me!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
barry greenstein donates all tournament winnings to charity. i would say thats something noble a poker player has done for society, but thats just me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Barry is definitively not a bum. That doesn't make ALL poker pros not bums.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:30 PM

we dont really know what the best poker players in the world do with their money. for example football is more nationally televised than poker and people as a whole watch it much more, yet i bet you 90% of people can tell you that Warrick Dunn from the falcons builds homes for single mothers. it just isnt something that is often talked about. For all we know Phil Ivey donates 50% of his winnings. who knows, but i think its kind of naive to say that all poker players are bums.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we dont really know what the best poker players in the world do with their money. for example football is more nationally televised than poker and people as a whole watch it much more, yet i bet you 90% of people can tell you that Warrick Dunn from the falcons builds homes for single mothers. it just isnt something that is often talked about. For all we know Phil Ivey donates 50% of his winnings. who knows, but i think its kind of naive to say that all poker players are bums.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm not saying that either. My only point is that I think it is ironic for homeless people to be called bums on a list populated by professional poker players.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:04 PM

What's the PC term for bum these days, anyway?

I think it's quite sad that you took a post about rallying people for an admirable cause and hijacked it so you could rant about the political incorrectness of the word BUM, of all things in the world. Sigh.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:07 PM

this wasnt my goal at all, for i agree with the rallying of party points to help the homeless. i think it would be a great idea. i live near baltimore and there are a lot of homeless people out there that could certainly use the clothing.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:08 PM

I've been on the streets. Bum is an adequate description of everyone I hung out with.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the PC term for bum these days, anyway?

I think it's quite sad that you took a post about rallying people for an admirable cause and hijacked it so you could rant about the political incorrectness of the word BUM, of all things in the world. Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously.

And yeah, there's no need to wait till the holidays. If you have a ton of points you're not gonna use for yourself, go use em now and give the stuff to the salvation army. They'll figure stuff out.