Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-01-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Do I suck at 6 Max?

Alright, I have been playing a little 6 Max lately, and I am getting my ass kicked. I am running at -4.83/100 for my 6 max experience(which is a small sample size, 1100 hands or so)I realize this is only a 50 BB downswing, but the fact that it started at the same time I began playing 6 max worries me.

I am a winning player at .50/1 full(running at 5.xx/100, over 20k hands)

Obviously, my sample size is way too small to know anything for sure, but what are the chances this is just variance?? Are there any ways to look at, stats to examine, things like that, to tell if I am playing badly?

I just feel like I am constantly losing huge pots where I am sure I have the best hand(flopped sets losing to flopped straights, flopped flushes losing to runner-runner full houses, KQ losing to a limped AK)

Sorry if this sounded like a bitching, low content post. I really don't know if I should play 6 Max some more, and see how it goes after a a larger sample size, or if I should just accept that I am not a a winning shorthanded player, and move back to fullring where I know I can win,

Any kind of advice/encouragement is appreciated.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Do I suck at 6 Max?

5BB/100 over 20k hands? I've never seen stats so good.

You're not going to get a good answer because the information you provided isn't enough to answer the question. Posting some hands would help.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:55 PM

Oh, come on now, man. If you dropped 50 BB in full ring, would you be whining like this? Hopefully not. This is just another speed bump. If you think you suck, reply to some hands, especially the hard ones where you're unsure, and prepare to get smacked around when you get some answers wrong. You learn. You'll improve. And you may still not see any immediate results, you know? But you know what, you keep playing, you stop whining, and you keep on working on your game. Also, read this, if you haven't already.

I don't mean to be overly harsh, but this is a tough love forum because poker is a tough world.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:03 PM

The shorthanded games are really swingy. In your next 1100 hands you might win 150 bets.

Do you suck? I don't know. You might. I doubt you suck so bad that you can't beat this game though..

Post some hands.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you dropped 50 BB in full ring, would you be whining like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, but I feel like that is a different situation, because I am an overall winner for full ring, and I am almost positive that I am a winning player(I don't have enough hands to be 100% certain)

Also, I have read the "Six Max Baby Steps" thread, but thanks anyways.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:56 PM

I figured you had read it. You've been around a while. However, I think you missed something. If you're a winning full ring player, you already have all the tools necessary to beat 6 max. You might not be playing totally optimally, but that's because you're probably not playing a totally optimal full ring game, either. You probably don't suck at 6 max. You can beat it, but you're far from perfect. Stick it out. Keep playing. Reply to some hands.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:59 PM

Maybe this is a good time for you to put in some more nudging on the mod board for a split LLSH board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We've got a very solid core of posters here in ML that would be pretty active there, I think.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is a good time for you to put in some more nudging on the mod board for a split LLSH board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We've got a very solid core of posters here in ML that would be pretty active there, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am running at -4.83/100 for my 6 max experience(which is a small sample size, 1100 hands or so)...
I am a winning player at .50/1 full(running at 5.xx/100, over 20k hands)

[/ QUOTE ]

1100 with a -BB/100 or 20k hands with a +BB/100 does not a winning or losing player make.

Be patient, study, solicit feedback, give consideration to these tips. The link is wrt downswings, but applicable to your post as well.

good luck,
--oj.