Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 04:20 PM

Default stud 8: limped small pair vs bring in

You limp in middle position with (73)7 and is folded around. On 4th you both brick but the bring in who hits a higher card bets out:

BI: xx2J
Hero: (73)79

What is your default move here against an unknown?
What if you've seen the bring in often bet out in this spot. (say 50% of the time against a mid position limped low who bricked on fourth headsup.)
Old 11-03-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: stud 8: limped small pair vs bring in

bumpity bump
Old 11-03-2005, 09:06 PM

Against an unknown it is tough. Go with your gut I guess. Its an easy raise against players who you have seen make this play before, and an easy fold against players who you know to be tight. It also depends on the texture of the game. I have been playing a lot of PR and they have had a 1-2 game that has gone a lot recently and almost every player in that game needs a pair to bet in that spot, so against those guys I would fold. Playing in a 2-4 or 3-6 game on PS though would be different because the players there are not completely retarded and would try a 'move' like that.

If I am in middle position with 737 and it is limped around to me though I will usually either fold or raise depending on what cards/players are left to act behind me.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:48 PM

This stupid upgrade. I'll try again.

I'd probably fold. He's saying that either the Jack hit him or he had something already. "Something" probably beats a pair of Sevens. Perhaps he is merely hoping that you'll fold because you caught a stinky Nine, but even if that's the case, you're probably not a huge favorite. You don't really have a credible low shot, and a pair of Sevens is pretty easy to outrun, especially if he has two or three over-cards. In any event, there are better opportunities in this game. I'd let it go.

Now if he's a chronic bluffer, I stay with him until I had a good reason not to.