Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Turbos vs. regular SNGs (variance)

I'm sorry, I guess my post was pompus because it borders on the actual answer to your question. Here is something friendlier and what I think you were looking for:

"Yeah man, the variance is way more on the Turbos. I won like 6 out of 10 yesterday, and today I'm 0 for 8. This sucks man, shoot me now. I think there may be lower variance at the higher buyins though."
Old 10-27-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, I guess my post was pompus because it borders on the actual answer to your question. Here is something friendlier and what I think you were looking for:

"Yeah man, the variance is way more on the Turbos. I won like 6 out of 10 yesterday, and today I'm 0 for 8. This sucks man, shoot me now. I think there may be lower variance at the higher buyins though."

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus! You still don't get it! The two different formats the original poster was referring to were both 9 player SNGs! So your whole post was based on a false premise. Thanks for the math lesson though. When I want to find out the ratio of apples to oranges in barrel x I'll come to you to find out all about barrel y...thx.

P.S. It wasnt your tone per se. It was the tone coupled with the fact that you didnt know what you were talking about.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:10 PM

I'm sorry, I'll try to take things real slow for you one step at a time. The fact that one type of sit-and-go has 9 players, and another type of sit-and-go has 9 players does not make one type have any more or less inherant variance than the other. Therefore, my thesis that the sitandgos should yield a similar variance stands.

Now, if the payout structures are wildly different, that's a different story. But don't worry, we won't get into that till you can learn how to count, Cletus.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus! You still don't get it! The two different formats the original poster was referring to were both 9 player SNGs! So your whole post was based on a false premise. Thanks for the math lesson though. When I want to find out the ratio of apples to oranges in barrel x I'll come to you to find out all about barrel y...thx.

P.S. It wasnt your tone per se. It was the tone coupled with the fact that you didnt know what you were talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2005, 12:21 PM

You're going to fit in swimmingly around here. Can I have free coaching at the $11s from you, oh master?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, I'll try to take things real slow for you one step at a time. The fact that one type of sit-and-go has 9 players, and another type of sit-and-go has 9 players does not make one type have any more or less inherant variance than the other. Therefore, my thesis that the sitandgos should yield a similar variance stands.

But don't worry, we won't get into that till you can learn how to count, Cletus.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Turbos will have less variance only because there are 9 players instead of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Counting is your specialty not mine.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:34 PM

Game. Set. Match.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:38 PM

The Stars Turbo SNGs are super tight or something right now. We're often 7-8 handed 25 minutes into it. It's getting very frustrating.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody around here learn some math for christsakes

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I love it

You are my new favorite poster.

Regards
Brad S
Old 10-27-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In SNGs, your variance will always be near the same, regardless of your ROI

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, strictly speaking you are right, but when poker players talk about variance, they actually mean something slightly different.

They are referring to the kinds of swings that they will take.

This is very much affected by ROI, so a better metric for swings is not SD alone, but rather SD divided by profit/tourney.

Regards
Brad S
Old 10-27-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In SNGs, your variance will always be near the same, regardless of your ROI

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, strictly speaking you are right, but when poker players talk about variance, they actually mean something slightly different.

They are referring to the kinds of swings that they will take.

This is very much affected by ROI, so a better metric for swings is not SD alone, but rather SD divided by profit/tourney.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

So if we assume that an above average player will enjoy a better ROI in a standard SNG because of elongated play time, then his variance should be lower there.