Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 05:00 PM

Default RESULTS, thoughts, etc.

Does pushing allin get some hands (like JJ and TT) to fold that we don't want in there? It's an online tournament, where no one ever folds anything that resembles a hand, so the issue is kind of moot.

In a live tournament, playing proportionately deep and against good players, I would excpect the big stacks to be folding QQ a fairly large amount of the time.

Anyway, I pushed. SB with 14K went into the tank and eventually called with QQ. Utg had AT (there you go, Lloyd re: "To me, AK is only "good" if I'm up against Ax."). I lost the pot.

I think the consensus is that I'm not folding to a push after calling, so I figure pushing allin preflop turns out to be the best play.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: RESULTS, thoughts, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the consensus is that I'm not folding to a push after calling, so I figure pushing allin preflop turns out to be the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to call anyway, wouldn't you want to let them come in with worse hands? If you push, they're definitely only coming along with QQ+, AKo/Aks, but if you just call, they'll come along with TT+, and maybe AQs.

Or maybe it's best to scare away the pairs.

Dunno.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: RESULTS, thoughts, etc.

That's the issue I guess...I'm not dying for a confronation vs. TT and one of the big stacks. I don't particularly mind one, but at the end of the day, I'd always prefer they make the tough decision with JJ (or even QQ) than I. After making the play, I had some doubts, but I do think it's correct looking back. Just one of the bummers of having to act in early position against an allin. I think it's going to be tough to avoid an allin vs SB here, not matter what I do, actually.

Fwiw, I think I push AA and KK some fair % of the time, too, in these spots.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Illustrative hand. What do we want here?

[ QUOTE ]
If I call am I planning on dumping AK if one of the 13-14K stacks pushes allin behind me?

[/ QUOTE ]

there's gonna be ~14k in dead money and you'll have to call ~9.5k if the biggest stack pushes. it's an unfortunate spot to be in, but you have odds to call against KK and JJ (i think).

i think i would just push because if you get called by a hand like 99, you're not going to get paid off if you flop a pair but you are going to moved off the flop if you don't. i'd prefer to be all-in.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:46 PM

Tough one. I'd just do what I normally do with every hand I play here and call. That lets me get out of a really weird situation like a repush/call behind (also, keep in mind that if AK is 'good', an out is missing).

95% of the time, I'm calling a push behind.

(edit: this assumes nobody's gonna overcall 99. If they are bad enough to do that sometimes, a push is better.)
Old 10-27-2005, 07:28 PM

Another good alternative here is to raise to 9k.

This is identical to pushing all in immediately except that the weird bet amount looks more like an AA/KK that wants to be called, and hence you are more likely to generate folds from pocket pairs (which you want).

-g
Old 10-27-2005, 08:13 PM

I don't think it matters that much between calling and pushing.

I probably push because if another big stack calls I don't want them getting off of their pocket pair when an ace flops or pushing into me on a missed flop and stoping me from seeing the turn/river.

If you call preflop and both big stacks push, it's still hard to fold because of the pot odds and the fact that even if you loose you have a very decent sized stack.