Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: work evaluation having to rate co-wokers ?

The fact that the opinions of some of the lunatics I work with could end up in my personnel records is disturbing.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:31 PM

360 degree reviews?

WTF kind of new-aged E-speak BS is this?

Gorie, give them all 5s and yourself all 10s.

Fight the power.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:37 PM

I hate this kind of management/HR tool. In the past I've refused to participate in these types of things. I don't particularly like rating people or ratting on people. I'd probably approach it the same way that you mentioned Gorie.

(I actually have to review my boss and managers at my current job. They claim it is confidential)
Old 10-25-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I read your OP I was thinking, yet again, how weird large corporations can get. The HR folks keep puttin' on the "touchy-feely, we're here for you, you're the reason we're successful, blah blah yada yada yada" crap and then they find another way of being KGB, Gestapo.

Now, your next post says you're not in a large corp. Jeeze, "trickle-down" crap! (yeah, I know turds roll downhill, but I really hate to see this in smaller cos.)

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always easy to tell when our execs are back from another seminar by the new buzzword-babble they spout. I think these things are attended by large orgs. and small.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:40 PM

It happens but not that often in workplace. Its a tough dillema but if its confidential rip those lazy NITS...
Old 10-25-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the reviews are taken seriously and are confidential, then genuine, honest, reviews should be okay. Remember, if it's a small place, everyone already knows what everyone thinks of each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's an important difference between what co-workers suspect you think about them, and what's on any sort of official record like a 360 review. Especially if the reviews are tied to performance boni etc.

The last time I participated in a 360 review (small PE shop 40 people) I went in with the goal of being honest, candid, and with an eye towards improving the company. I also trusted my manager, who conducted the review (it was an interview-style where he took notes).

However, I did not realize his assistant would be filing / reading all the reviews... needless to say this assistant was friends with one of my colleagues yada yada - and it ended up being incredibly annoying for me for a few months. Nothing I said was malicious - I was trying to be constructive.

Unless you are fairly high-up in the company with a real investment in your future there, looking to improve the company, I would personally recommend being as bland and neutral as possible in your reviews. Little upside with lots of potential downside.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:44 PM

At most companies these reviews are a complete sham. For instance, I set my personal goals at the beginning of the year. When review time comes around I just change my goals to make sure that I accomplished them all. That way I still get my full bonus. Not exactly a very motivating system.

I spend 10 minutes with my manager going over it and then it is filed away never to be looked at again.

The way the whole thing is set up just negates the whole reason for having it. The main reason we have it is so the human resources people can prove that they are doing their job.

Do I sound jaded at all?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's always easy to tell when our execs are back from another seminar by the new buzzword-babble they spout. I think these things are attended by large orgs. and small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can confirm your suspicions about the big ones. I attended a couple. They're frequently put on by outfits that specialize in this crap or by the corp.'s HR types that paid big bucks to learn how to stage them.

They're always held at really neat sites with a lot of side bar entertainment. Everything is first class, i.e., $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 PM

Max, you sound like my younger alter-ego!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 PM

this sounds like an opportunity to get the weird/annoying people fired [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]