Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 12:32 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.
Default work evaluation having to rate co-wokers ?

every year at work we get this stupid "self evaluation" sheet we have to fill out, "what do you do" , "what do you enjoy about working here" , "what are new skills you've learned" blah blah. and a sheet to rate yourself on stupid things like attendance, efficiency, accuracy, blah blah, same stupid questions every year with the same stupid answers every year.

anyway - so this year we have a sheet added , asking us to rate our co-workers.
it lists everyones name, and there are about 10 different things to rate them on , ona scale of 1 - 10. like how well they do at their job, if they are trustworthy, etc.
i didn't read all of them , i just glanced at it and thought "wtf" as i was leaving for lunch, and now i'm kind of annoyed about the idea of having to rate other people.

is this weird or what ? it's stupid enough having to rate myself every year on this stupid thing.
i definitely don't feel right being asked to rate other people.
is this normal and common for the boss to ask employees to rate the people we work with ? am i weird for being somewhat offended by it and not wanting to do it ?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: work evaluation having to rate co-wokers ?

360 degree reviews are increasingly standard. You should make sure that your comments will be confidential.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM

More than likely they are trying to determine who is stealing from them. The other questions are just there to disguise their true intent.

I don't see how they could use other's opinions on you to judge your work.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM

That sounds like something more appropriate for a college class..."rate the other students' projects"...than a job. what sort of place do you work in? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

"rate yourself" can, I guess, be a chance for self-reflection, but I'd be afraid that it simply becomes a tool for authority most often. Something like getting pulled into a police station without being charged and being told, "You know what you did wrong--so just tell us about it"... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 12:40 PM

Sounds like total unadulterated BS to me. This is the kind of ridiculous crap that keeps me in business. They don't understand that most of us don't like being turned into rats, which is all it this kind of thing does.

It is just another way to pit the lifers against the new guys and the young against the old and the black against the white. Everything they do is to keep you in your place.

In solidarity, Hamish
Old 10-25-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
360 degree reviews are increasingly standard. You should make sure that your comments will be confidential.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what they are called here. This is our first year. I hate them.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:41 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think i am going to do it, i'll probalby just write "i think everyone here does a good job and i like everyone" or something. i think it's weird.
we work in a small company, stuff gets around way too easily. not to mention the boss is around everyone all day long working with us, and hovering over everyones shoulder as it is. he knows whats going on there and who does what. it just seems kind of a way to cause unnecessary drama to me.
if i want him to know what i think of someone i will tell him.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think i am going to do it, i'll probalby just write "i think everyone here does a good job and i like everyone" or something. i think it's weird.
we work in a small company, stuff gets around way too easily. not to mention the boss is around everyone all day long working with us, and hovering over everyones shoulder as it is. he knows whats going on there and who does what. it just seems kind of a way to cause unnecessary drama to me.
if i want him to know what i think of someone i will tell him.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first company was 20 people when I started. My second company had 8 people when I started. If the reviews are taken seriously and are confidential, then genuine, honest, reviews should be okay. Remember, if it's a small place, everyone already knows what everyone thinks of each other.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:06 PM

I always kick ass on my self-evals.

...if you grade yourself poorly - they can use it against you when it comes around for raises. You get what you expect... if you're too hard on yourself, then they feel they can give you what you tell them you deserve.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:17 PM

When I read your OP I was thinking, yet again, how weird large corporations can get. The HR folks keep puttin' on the "touchy-feely, we're here for you, you're the reason we're successful, blah blah yada yada yada" crap and then they find another way of being KGB, Gestapo.

Now, your next post says you're not in a large corp. Jeeze, "trickle-down" crap! (yeah, I know turds roll downhill, but I really hate to see this in smaller cos.)

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]