Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 10-23-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Internet (cable modem?) problem.

Okay, the last few days I have had trouble with my internet. I will have good connection, decent speed, everything works fine. Then, the "Data" light on my modem will either stop blinking, and doesn't light up at all, or the light remains non-blinking like the Power light. If I unplug the power and plug it back in, it will work fine again, but it is a real pain in the ass to unplug my modem every 30 minutes and lose connection for 20 seconds(I am reluctant to play poker until I get this fixed).

Also, the modem will make kind of a squealing noise when the connection goes out.

I have this modem, and my ISP is Road Runner. I have not called them yet, as their CS is retarded, hopefully I can get some help here.

Also, my usual setup uses a router. I tried connecting through the router, and directly from the modem to the PC, neither helped. I've tried everything I can think of. I'm guessing I might need a new modem, but I don't want to go that route yet.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Internet (cable modem?) problem.

despite how retarded roadrunners tech support might be, they can remotely diagnose the modem, just call them.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:33 AM

david toshiba makes some of the least reliable networking devices I can think of. I even went to a review site of your exact modem and here are what some of the other users say:

Date: 2005-09-18
Good for a While
Like so many others I have had this modem for 2 years now. It was very good for about 1.5 years, with only occasionally drops requiring resetting. Now it drops data constantly and I am shopping for a new modem and it won't be a Toshiba.

Date: 2005-09-03
skip this modem, not reliable
Like other posters have mentioned this modem starts to drop out and then total failure after 1.5 years of home use. They have an "on-line" diagnostic but since you can't get on-line with a bad modem, how stupid is that? A 5 year warranty like everyone else but big deal, do you want to go through a RMA process and wait for a $50.00 item? Seems that Toshiba uses low end components, so my advise is buy another brand. Bought an RCA modem at radio shack and tossed the Toshiba.

Date: 2004-11-26
Good but not long lasting
I got this together with my Cox Connection in June 2002. Initially it worked great . Like all I was thrilled because of the high speed internet. But it does not long last. First you start getting drops at times and then more frequently. The life I would say is about 1 to 1.5 years without any drop. Then you need to switch

Date: 2004-10-11
Worked great for a year...and then Kaput
No problems, fast and cheap until exactly 1 year. Then slowly kept dropping more and more until it never could establish the connection. Not a great choice.

I think the problem is with the modem itself. If you have a spare, try it out and see how it goes, otherwise I would just buy another..

my two scents [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 AM

Toshiba is the modem that RR supplies. I have never had trouble with my modem, only with Cable Lines in my neighboorhood