Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Is anyone pimper than Ted Forrest?

Maybe Sklansky has more 23 year old girls*, but is anyone more pimp than Ted Forrest?

If you read The Professor, the Banker and the Suicide King, Forrest is portrayed as fearless, yet honest and rational in assessing situations involving poker. If you read more poker articles from Michale Craig (whom I've seen around here, yay), it sounds even more dramatic (a recent 3 article series in card player). All heart and determination. The poker version of the perfect serial killer.

Does anyone else compare? Or is this like the two bodyguards in the Bimonscificon Simpsons episode where one asks to the other:

Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?

Michael Craig, I'd love to get your input as you're the one that got me all impressed with Forrest in the first place.

*For those that missed it, he told Negreanu that he had more 23 year-old girls in a recent post, blowing my socks off (and I wasn't wearing any).
Old 10-14-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Is anyone pimper than Ted Forrest?

Gushing about school-boy crushes belongs in the psychology forum.

P.S. Ted is of an age where pimp is considered an insult, so I advise that you don't use that in your love letters.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:00 AM

Annie Duke!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 AM

No.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:54 PM

I agree. He has insane gamble in him. Its great. Just compare the Forrest bet about running a marathon distance in the summer in Vegas, against the bet between Howard Lederer and David Grey about eating hamburger vs. two olives. Forrest is a gambling God.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:41 PM

Yeah - except he forgot it was on the UNLV track in the middle of summer. What an artform it is to make prop bets.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Sklansky has more 23 year old girls*, but is anyone more pimp than Ted Forrest?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, even though I poked fun at David (just a little) in my book and only vaguely understand this business with 23-year-old women, let me make my opinion clear here: David is honest beyond question. Brutally honest. Honest maybe when others would be politely less honest. If Sklansky says he has a way with 23-year-old women, I'd put the same weight on it as if he had said he can improve your starting hand selection. Just my opinion about the man's honesty. I don't know him well.

Who's "pimper" than Ted Forrest? Assuming you mean who has more gamble in them, or who has a more interesting daily life, I'd have to say nobody. I found Ted to be a phenomenally interesting person, plus honest, self-critical, smart, helpful, and funny. Even though he's not running marathons or lifting weights for money - though he did offer to take a bet he had made regarding walking from the Bicycle Club to the Bellagio and he told me the offer is still good at the right price - his daily life would make a great documentary or reality show.

Is he the alpha gambler? Maybe, but it's so hard to define.

I don't know Mike Svobodny, who also seems like a very cool guy (or at least he does to anyone who gambles).

Huck Seed has a lot of gamble in him, as does John Hennigan. I've never spoken to Seed and only briefly to Johnny World.

Howard Lederer has a huge amount of gamble in him. I don't know if it's as much as Ted but he seems so coolly rational that you never think of Howard as an action junkie. He is.

Phil Ivey is somewhere in the vicinity of Ted's level ("level" admittingly being some undefined amount of action-willingness, coolness, etc.) I don't really know Ivey, but I didn't know Ted 18 months ago. In fact, Ivey's "legend" is similar to Ted's in several respects, even down to 3 WSOP bracelets in one year as a young player.

I'm sure I'm leaving some people off this list. "Professional gambler" is a very unusual profession, and it attracts some unusual people.

Michael Craig
Old 10-21-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*For those that missed it, he told Negreanu that he had more 23 year-old girls in a recent post, blowing my socks off (and I wasn't wearing any).

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? Can I get a link? I remember when I first saw David in super system one black and white pictures I thought "wow, that fool is one huge pimp", but since then I hadn't really considered the magnitude of his mojo. And now this? WOW!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never spoken to Seed and only briefly to Johnny World.

Michael Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Johnny has had a lot more gamble in him aftyer he changed his name to Johhny World instead of Johnny Cornflakes...
Old 10-21-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? Can I get a link? I remember when I first saw David in super system one black and white pictures I thought "wow, that fool is one huge pimp", but since then I hadn't really considered the magnitude of his mojo. And now this? WOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky