Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: NL v. limit

No one can argue that suckouts don't happen in both games. However, a suckout in limit will not cost you your whole stack, whereas in NL you can be 98% to win and watch your stack disappear in an instant.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one can argue that suckouts don't happen in both games. However, a suckout in limit will not cost you your whole stack, whereas in NL you can be 98% to win and watch your stack disappear in an instant.

[/ QUOTE ]

That only happens %2 of the time in NL though. Can you see why?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:29 PM

In NL there are MANY more ways to outplay weaker players. weaker players catch on and go play limit where it's not as noticable that they are being outplayed so badly. IMO
Old 10-14-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also believe it to be a more difficult game. It's much more stressful and I find I need to think longer and more carefully in order to make the best decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with some of what you are saying....I think (especially) nowadays NL is a little trickier due to all the people that are new to poker that only know how to play by watching the WSOP and WPT online...eveyone thinks they're a fricken Gus Hansen...they have no idea of the differences between a NL tournament and NL cash games....
On the flip side...if you are playing with people who are experienced then it becomes a mental marathon...exhausting!

Limit...is harder in other ways...at times it seems like an exercise in endurance, emotional stability and patiences (sometimes even more so than NL)....I don't really like to compare the two...just two totally different games that should be treated as such. apples and oranges? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....I don't really like to compare the two...just two totally different games that should be treated as such. apples and oranges?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on, I'm glad someone said it. Which is harder, Draw or Stud? It's the same argument but nonetheless an interesting one. As far as the 'Limit involves more luck' argument what the hell are you trying to say? Luck does not exist. Short term swings are a function of statistics not acts of God and certainly not luck. Both forms of HE invlove significant swings, but it does not mean one has to be 'more lucky' to win at either form.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:56 PM

It is a fact that NL is harder than Limit yet most people online play NL????????????????????????????????????????

Can't figure that one out.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:59 PM

I personally find limit more difficult, because the bad beats make it more emotionally challenging. Even using the methods described in SSHE, I find it very difficult to protect my hand when playing 0.5/1 or 1/2. Most people think nothing of calling two bets cold with 2-3 outs. When you have 3-4 people all drawing against your current best hand, frequently it ends up second best by the river.

By constrast, in NL I can punish poor players with devastating efficiency. I can acutally use one of the poker weapons you almost forget about when playing SSHE, the bluff.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally find limit more difficult, because the bad beats make it more emotionally challenging. Even using the methods described in SSHE, I find it very difficult to protect my hand when playing 0.5/1 or 1/2. Most people think nothing of calling two bets cold with 2-3 outs. When you have 3-4 people all drawing against your current best hand, frequently it ends up second best by the river.

By constrast, in NL I can punish poor players with devastating efficiency. I can acutally use one of the poker weapons you almost forget about when playing SSHE, the bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't have said it any better myself. NL is the best way to preserve your sanity at low limits and build your roll.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:22 AM

i personally luv pokah. i luv all pokah games in limit and no limit. the thing about comparing them is that most of us are biased. i personally think nl is easier and limit is more fun. could that be because ive played over 100,000 hands of nl and play limit for fun...maybe.

i dont think there is a proper scale to compare the 2. they are both complex games that no one has or will ever master. my skill set is more beneficial in nl, yours may be limit or stud or whatever.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:30 AM

You are right the NL is trickier than Limit, but is a lot more profitable if you can learn how to read hands and play the player. This is good for limit, but it seems that you are wasting knowledge by just gaining one more bet when you know exactly what your opponent holds. My best attribute is figuring out a player's hand and then either getting them to call or fold. There is no way to do this in limit.