Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-09-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Watch out for pot odds...

Played in a 2-2-1 NL ring today (live game). The 1 is on the button and the min bring in is 4, max buy in is 100.

3 callers in front of me call pf bring in for 4.
I call with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 more callers. BB (BB position, same blind amount as SB) raises to twenty.
All people in front of me call the twenty. I call expecting everyone else to call and they do.
Pot is 160 or so.
Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Player in front of me is all in for 69. I call. Player behind me goes all in and has me covered for my remaining 101.
I call because I'm damn sure no one has AK based on the raising. I put them both on an ace.
The result doesn't matter because I'm happy with all decisions.

The point is that basing all decisions here on pot odds resulted in me risking my entire stack (slightly deep compared to others) with just a draw.

Be careful what you wish for (I wanted people to call so I'd get in a multiway pot with my suited connector) and realize if you're not careful variance and following proper pot odds will getcha! I could have played the hand differently (less optimally, but limiting risk), but I don't like playing that way. I'll take most edges I can get in a cash game.

If people are interested, I'll post the result.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Watch out for pot odds...

I’m guessing you lost to a higher flush Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Maybe?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:18 PM

Nope, though that would have been an interesting result.

Both of the other guys turned out to have an ace. One AJo (the limper that reraised all in). The other raiser had an ace, but less than AJo (maybe A8o or so). I don't think either of them had even one diamond, but not having one diamond didn't matter.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The point is that basing all decisions here on pot odds resulted in me risking my entire stack (slightly deep compared to others) with just a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
So?

If the pot odds are there, then the decision is right. Simple as that.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:35 PM

I love making these calls. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If you lose, you know you made the right decision, and if you win, you have a 3x+ buyin stack with everyone at the table pissed off at you and gunning for it.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watch out for drawing out of position...

[/ QUOTE ]

fix your title.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:39 PM

the risks:
1)you're drawing dead against quads or boat
2)assuming both have an A without diamonds and without a 7 or 9 kicker and each have a different kicker you have 7 outs against their 2 redraws to boats thus 4:1 against.
3)drawing dead against a larger flush draw.

So when you called the 69 you didn't have immediate pot odds and when the guy pushed behind you still didn't have immediate pot odds.

If they each have a diamond you're slightly worse off and if one of them has a 7 or 9 kicker then you're a 3:1 dog and have just a little better than the necessary odds.

I got these numbers by running them through card player.

All in all I say that's a bad call unless you can imply more callers behind which is difficult without giving someone a flush draw which, whether it's larger or smaller, takes out needed outs.