Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 12:44 AM

Default My contribution to all the \"turning pro\" posts. LONG

This topic is something that Ive been thinking about a lot lately, and since its something of a "hot topic" on the board I thought I'd post my thoughts... Here's my situation.

I'm in my early 20's, married, full-time job, all ready to settle down into the grind of daily life. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I work as a manager at a collections company. I manage a crew of 30+ collectors. I started in this buisness when I was just out of high school and have been there about 5 years. To be honest I have to attribute almost all of the success I have had financially (which isnt a whole lot, but more than most my age), to this company. I now have a wife, mortgage payments, and no college degree.
I've started to realize that I I'm not cut out for collections for the LONG haul. I'm good at it, but I find no prefessional or long term happiness in it. I grow more negative every passing year, and slowly see myself getting stuck in the same type of negative work until I retire.
Collections is a prety easy buisness to move up in, if you put in the time, and can deal with all the corporate BS thats involved. (Not to mention the utter crap I have to deal with from my employees, plus goals, deadlines...AHH!) In about 5 years time I could easily be pulling in about 60-70K, maxing out at about 100K (probably 15 years from now).
Where I live at this kind of money is awesome. The average salary here is 25-30K (what I make now) and the average house isnt much more than 65-80K. Its pretty cheap compared to anywehere else.

Anyways on to my real question. I would really love to get back to my roots that made me happy as a teenager and get away from a lot of this corporate BS. Ive seriously considered quitting my job and going to college for a web/graphic design degree. I used to love drawing and messing with computers before I started working in collections, and have done some HTML work that I enjoyed.
I also have a jazz band that is starting to take off, and allows me to stay social with my busy schedule.
I believe with the proper bankroll (6-8K, which I could easily have on hand within a year), I could make three times what I do now....on paper. I'm a prop so I can pull in REALLY good money from the "r" word, not to mention my overall 2BB/100 WR.
This thought, although ridiculously intoxicating, makes me nervous.

My wife wants a kid soon. A degree would take 4 years to obtain and probably another 6mo. to a year to get set up as a consultant or working for some company from home. (im not going to get a degree just to go back to some office everyday!)

So now im stuck, do I stick it out and continue to do the same crap I do now everyday, and make poker my side job? (which literaly takes ALL of my time, I seriously wake up, work, play poker, sleep, repeat.)
Or so I take the chance? become a full-time student get my degree and finally do the kind of work that I want to do, Along with being a part-time poker pro? Seems like an easy decision, more money, happiness, free time (what's that?) dusting off my PS2 while waiting for a table [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ....but also 5 years of serious real risk of ruin, health insurance, bennies..ect., and the destruction of everything that I worked my ass off for 5 years, as someone with no colege education to get.
The type of buisness Im in you dont just leave to try to play poker professionally. I'd never be welcomed at another agency again. Blackballed.

Can any of you pros shed a little light on some of your prefessional transition periods that might put my mind at ease enough to work through this decision.?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: My contribution to all the \"turning pro\" posts. LONG

Seriously, I don't think there is any debate if you have dependents. Once that's the case it becomes a part time thing that only becomes full time after it makes your job's wages look pathetic after an absurd sample size. If you're single and have bills coming to 800 bucks a month do as you please.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or so I take the chance? become a full-time student get my degree and finally do the kind of work that I want to do, Along with being a part-time poker pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The type of buisness Im in you dont just leave to try to play poker professionally. I'd never be welcomed at another agency again. Blackballed.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would be leaving the job to play poker full-time?
or you would be leaving the job to go to college and play poker part-time?

Also - you would really be black-balled and never able to work at any agency again?
I know nothing of collection agencies but that sounds kind of odd.
Obviously having a back-up plan if it all goes sour is important so you DO want to to be able to go back if possible...so if you're absolutely certain that you would never be able to go back then that REALLY hurts.

Can you take a 3 month leave-of-absence to 'try it out' or something like that?
Is your wife cool with you going back to school and playing poker to fund your way through.

Also - I am assuming that you are long-term winner at this with a significant sample size over several months of play (at least) to back this up. Otherwise, the whole question is moot.

In the meanwhile, you could also continue to do what you are doing for the most part and really work on your poker and build a bigger and more comfortable bankroll for the possibility of doing this in the future.

you're still in undecided and 'not sure what the hell I should do' mode so definitely don't do anything rash anytime soon. Keep doing what you're doing for a few more weeks (at least) while you continue to evaluate the possibilities and discuss things with your wife.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:42 AM

Out of curiousity, where have I seen your cactus before? My initial thought is some LucasArts game.

I recommend against going pro, at least until you have proven yourself and built up your bankroll. Regarding college, I think you could probably work something out so you could get your degree on the side.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity, where have I seen your cactus before?

[/ QUOTE ]
that's Cactuar, a recurring character in the Final Fantasy series.
I think he debuted in FFIII in the desert. He usually ran away before you could kill him, but if you killed him, he gave tons of XP.
Love fighting Cactuar.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity, where have I seen your cactus before?

[/ QUOTE ]
that's Cactuar, a recurring character in the Final Fantasy series.
I think he debuted in FFIII in the desert. He usually ran away before you could kill him, but if you killed him, he gave tons of XP.
Love fighting Cactuar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope FFVII...for any of you oldschool RPG lovers out there. It was in the desert by the ruby weapon, 10,000 needles is a biotch... easiest way to kill one of these (have phoenix summon linked with final attack, use nights of the round, mime, repeat.) Ive beat every facet of FFVII literally... everything. Anyone ever seen Aeris use her lvl. 4 limit break? hahaha! My game play timer is locked at 999:999:999(glitch in first version of FF7) I played it so much in highschool.

Anyways, My plan would be to quit, go to school and play poker full-time for 4 years or so. Then with my degree I can go back to playing part time. Work at home for a few hours, play for a few hours, play with my band, put my wife through school, and start a family. I simply dont want to be confined to a set schedule anymore, and I sure as heck dont want to be spending 50+ hours a week in an office. My house needs work, I need to spend more time with my wife, this just sucks.

And yes in this industry, everyone knows everyone. Everyone in collections could be connected within about 3-4 people (kind of like the kevin bacon game) this guy worked with this guy..ect. when you go to get hired into management at an agency, they all call their old friends and see if they know you, and if their bosses, bosses, bosses know you. If anything bad comes up....no call. Ive met hundreds of people in the buisness and they are all connected somehow to me and my office. As most of you know, Bill collectors are A**holes....but Bill collector managers are major A**holes, and collection company owners are the devil. (Fooseball)

I really do want to get into graphic/web design...any 2+2'ers in this type of buisness?
Old 09-24-2005, 01:46 PM

I can dig quitting a steady job to chase a dream. I don't think that's an ideal stage in life for babies though.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:47 PM

Quit and go to college. If you actually win at this game, the decision is obvious IMO. You aren't happy. You will be if you take a risk. You are what, 23? You have plenty of time for babies and a family. Don't worry about the collections agencies. I could never get a job working in collections but I think I'll make it okay. I know it seems overwhelming since that's all that you know - but there is more out there. You really only do live once.
-James
Old 09-24-2005, 06:47 PM

i just lurk here for the most part but feel compelled to comment on james's response: not only do i agree with him 100% but also think it was one of the most heartfelt and insightful comments i've seen on this site. just my .02
Old 09-25-2005, 12:41 AM

I think I have made up my mind to work on getting my bankroll to about 6-7grand and Im just going to do it. By my math Id make around 50K a year at worst just from the "r" so why not... F@ck it. wow it feels good to say that. Anyone working in the graphic/web design field that may want to hire me on in a few years? My band can play for the company picnic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously thanks guys, I think the decision is obvious. It's just that I spent 5 years since highschool double checking myself and making sure I never said "f@ck it". Its about time I took back control. Everyone lets say it together: "F@CK IT, IM GOING TO PLAY CARDS!"

PS if anyone has any good tips on taxes, getting set up, other pro issues...ect. please PM me. PS anyone think that I should get a couple of hundred dollar coaching sessions in with Joe Tall or someone like that for a "pro approval" before making the plunge?