Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Results

as a player you have to be thinking long term. over the long run when you are in this position you will be beat on the river. thats why ppl do not bother to post the results. what matters is the information we had when we made the play. i think you try to analyze your players hand too much. just put him on a range of hands. he had A7, but he could have had all those other hands thatg beat you and normally will.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as a player you have to be thinking long term. over the long run when you are in this position you will be beat on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Undeniably true - as far as it goes. We can't let long term outlooks cloud our tactical judgements. If we do that, we become weak-tight. If we start talking ourselves into knowing with 90% certitude that we are beat, we will throw away a lot of money.

[ QUOTE ]

thats why ppl do not bother to post the results. what matters is the information we had when we made the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, true.

[ QUOTE ]

i think you try to analyze your players hand too much. just put him on a range of hands. he had A7, but he could have had all those other hands thatg beat you and normally will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much? Can one analyze an opponent's hand too much?

I did put him on a range of hands - throughout the hand. And I was certainly aware that he could have had a hand that beat me. But his betting patterns and past history made me suspicious.

At the river the main concern in my decision to call, is whether I can be certain he is not bluffing. I only have to pay 1 bet to win 12, so I have to be pretty darn certain. In the long term, if I fold to his bet, I will lose money.

Regards,

T
Old 09-08-2005, 12:25 AM

Based on your "strong is weak" read, I think the argument can be made for a bluff raise on the river.
If it was me (following hero's blind steal from before), his auto betting would have worked on me. I'd have put him on QJ, KQ.
Hard to say with out being there.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on your "strong is weak" read, I think the argument can be made for a bluff raise on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. I guess that shows my confidence in my read. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

If it was me (following hero's blind steal from before), his auto betting would have worked on me. I'd have put him on QJ, KQ.
Hard to say with out being there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have been surprised to see QJ but not KQ. I think QJ would have been too weak to reraise preflop, but I had no knowledge of this player so it was not outside the realm of possibility.

Thanks,

T
Old 09-08-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would have been surprised to see QJ but not KQ. I think QJ would have been too weak to reraise preflop, but I had no knowledge of this player so it was not outside the realm of possibility.

T

[/ QUOTE ]
People do stranger things. Especially if they think you're trying to steal.(twice)
Old 09-08-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Loosey Goosey?

I'm seeing monsters with the tight table and the flop reraise. I don't believe an Ace or King do me any good, so I'm left with a gutshot and a 3 flush. I MIGHT call the flop reraise, but I'm folding to a turn bet.