Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Practical knowledge for HS students

It's good you want to expand the curriculum, but I would say that basic personal finance (don't buy [censored] you can't afford) and how to get and KEEP a job are very important.

Beyond that, I'd go with:

Your key legal rights in important situations:
- dealing with the police (when and what can they search, can they arrest me for not talking to them? etc)
- renting an apartment (no idea, never done it myself [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img])
- at work (sexual harrasment, good faith, minimum pay / holiday requirements etc)

Nutrition (buying groceries, how to eat cheaply and well).

Maybe a class or two about how there are other countries in the world not just America, and that other countries are different. On a made for TV movie note, I know a guy from one of the most [censored] ed up families ever who made it through high school and then university because a teacher showed the class slides of Europe and my friend made the connection that if he stuck at school he could get a good job and go see those sweet places for himself.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:35 AM

OK, how hard is it to rent an apartment? Find one you like and can afford and read the lease !

Reading comprehension - something that should be taught in, well, reading class.

Deductive reasoning and logic - things that are taught in science and math classes, among others.

Basic education (should) prepare(s) you for these things, without being that specific. What's next, how to order a meal at a fast food drive-thru? (This is not a rant at you PP, just in general).
Old 08-30-2005, 11:37 AM

Well, reading isn't taught in reading class. And math and science education in America, for all but the very mathematically/scientifically inclined is absolutely laughable.

It sucks, but remedial living class is needed, and if done right its the first step to responsible living rather than a continuation of the ongoing infantilization of the American Adult.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:00 PM

i say finances too. mainly, credit.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[RANT] This is truely a sad state of affairs that such basic skills children should learn from a responible authority figure at home needs to be taught using my tax dollars. [/RANT]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cost of not educating them and giving them some hope of becoming productive members of society is much more costly in terms of your tax dollars. I'd much rather pay for a few years of schooling than a lifetime in prison or welfare / medicaid / etc.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:52 PM

Oh, I agree totally with you. I'm commenting more on the sad state of parenting rather than the educational system.

I guess they could call this class "How not to suck at life 101"?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:55 PM

I think managing finances is an excellent idea. Pay the students a "salary" each week, and make sure they have bills to pay and additional expenses to cover. Make the penalties clear for late payment, etc.

Treat this as a year (semester, whatever)-long project, and grade it accordingly. If they don't take it seriously and blow it off, it will be like getting a poor grade on an exam.

Also, Freshaman year in HS, it might be helpful if they filled out a 540EZ.

Edited to add: Also, teach them about bonus whoring and p*ker. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 01:59 PM

Job interview skills and proper workplace attire/demeanor.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:02 PM

my highschool physics teacher told me that the average 40 year old bum was smarter than anyone in the class, which was comprised of the smartest kids in the school. He was right.

Pay a bum to share his life experiences with your kids.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:12 PM

Teach them they're in 9th grade, everything now counts. Tell them if they have the desire and the drive, college is possible, no matter their financial circumstances. Then send them here:

Inroads Program

May not be for every kid, but if you can get one or two to do this, you'll have made a big difference in their lives.