Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Ann Coulter on Cindy Sheehan

[ QUOTE ]
Why is natedogg (who I presume is a libertarian) telling everyone else to shut up about the ridiculous behavior and speeches of someone? Even a grieving mother. Are you of the same opinion as Maureen Dowd, who believes that since Sheehan lost a son she is beyond question and retains an absolute moral authority?

Who's saying Cindy shouldn't have the right to act like such a buffoon? It seems just about every article I've read regarding Cindy Sheehan has said both that she has such a right and that the author is sorry for her loss.

[ QUOTE ]
Any pundit who says anything other than "She's a grieving mother and I won't judge her reaction to losing her son to war" is scum.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what of others who are in the same situation as Sheehan? Should they also shut the hell up and mind their own business?

I expected better from you, nate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, I did not claim that anyone needs to shut up. I'm excoriating the pundits for what they have said. I gave my opinion that anyone bashing this woman is scum.

I gave no opinions about her moral authority or the correctness of her positions.

MY opinion is the the bulldog attacks and vehement reactions from the rightwing blowhards such as Hannity and Coulter are disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

natedogg
Old 08-23-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I gave my opinion that anyone bashing this woman is scum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Define bashing. Would disagreeing with her actions, even strongly, be a form of bashing? I would take "bashing" as a form of a personal attack, like "Cindy Sheehan is a bad person who deserves to rot". I've yet to read any such bashing of this woman, with Coulter coming the closest, although I'd consider what Coulter wrote more of a bashing of liberals in general than of Cindy specifically.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I gave my opinion that anyone bashing this woman is scum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Define bashing. Would disagreeing with her actions, even strongly, be a form of bashing? I would take "bashing" as a form of a personal attack, like "Cindy Sheehan is a bad person who deserves to rot". I've yet to read any such bashing of this woman, with Coulter coming the closest, although I'd consider what Coulter wrote more of a bashing of liberals in general than of Cindy specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's this for bashing: on Sunday, Fox News quoted Sheehan as saying that "America is not worth dying for." That is an outright lie, and I would say it is definitely bashing.

The TRUTH is that Sheehan said that "it is not worth dying for", and based on the sentence right before and right after, clearly she was referring to IRAQ.

Fox News hit another low on Sunday with a pure lie in order to discredit this woman.

ptmusic
Old 08-23-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How's this for bashing: on Sunday, Fox News quoted Sheehan as saying that "America is not worth dying for." That is an outright lie, and I would say it is definitely bashing.

The TRUTH is that Sheehan said that "it is not worth dying for", and based on the sentence right before and right after, clearly she was referring to IRAQ.

Fox News hit another low on Sunday with a pure lie in order to discredit this woman.

[/ QUOTE ]
I missed the part where Fox News (assuming what you say is true) has anything to do with the topic of Ann Coulter's article. If it's true that Fox did misrepresent what she said, that sucks.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:18 AM

I am sure that Ann Coulter agrees with Rush Limbaugh, who said

[ QUOTE ]

“But the longer the Sheehan thing goes on and the longer she's treated as some sort of super-celebrity by the press and the more outrageous things she says, trust me on this, the more people are going to get fed up with it. She's going to become the next Natalee Holloway before it's all said and done.”

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-23-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've yet to read any such bashing of this woman, with Coulter coming the closest, although I'd consider what Coulter wrote more of a bashing of liberals in general than of Cindy specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me. Calling her actions Stalinist only comes CLOSE to bashing her? Stalin killed millions of people and was a brutal dictator for many years...WHO would Coulter have to compare a grieving mother to in order for you to consider it "bashing?"
Old 08-23-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Ugly

[ QUOTE ]
How's that for an incindiary title?

[/ QUOTE ]
Causes flashes of disgusting images, actually. (Like Ann Coulter's mug in close-up.)

[ QUOTE ]
The ... comment made me laugh out loud, something I don't do often when reading Coulter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? Whenever I have the misfortune of reading Coulter, I always laugh! (At worst, whistle.)

...Now, as to her vitriol against a grieving mother for being a grieving mother, what can one say. Typically mindless Coulter.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've yet to read any such bashing of this woman, with Coulter coming the closest, although I'd consider what Coulter wrote more of a bashing of liberals in general than of Cindy specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me. Calling her actions Stalinist only comes CLOSE to bashing her? Stalin killed millions of people and was a brutal dictator for many years...WHO would Coulter have to compare a grieving mother to in order for you to consider it "bashing?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Coulter: "Cindy Sheehan decided to cheer herself up by engaging in Stalinist agitprop"

I am libertarian and agree that both sides are in the wrong -- as usual. Coulter and her ilk engage in the same demonizing and divisive crap as the other side. To compare a grieving woman's war protest, albeit misguided in my opinion, as "Stalinist" is the usual resort to emotional response rather than reason that both sides are so quick to jump to. Yeah, Sheehan is so Stalinist I hear she just had 1 million dissenting Republicans murdered. Puhhhhlease. This is a typical propaganda piece from a propagandist posing as a critical thinker.

Coulter on Sheehan: "I have a feeling every time this gal opens her trap, Michael Moore gets a residuals check."

Once again resorting to comparing her to a figure the right wing despises in order to appeal to emotion rather than reason.

Rational citizens who don't resort to propaganda opportunities would probably view Sheehan as sad and misguided, the Left's jumping on her bandwagon as exploitive and non news-worthy, and the vitriolic respone of the Right as pathetic. In other words, same sh!t, different day.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're sorry about Ms. Sheehan's son, but the entire nation was attacked on 9/11. This isn't about her personal loss. America has been under relentless attack from Islamic terrorists for 20 years, culminating in a devastating attack on U.S. soil on 9/11. It's not going to stop unless we fight back, annihilate Muslim fanatics, destroy their bases, eliminate their sponsors and end all their hope. A lot more mothers will be grieving if our military policy is: No one gets hurt!

[/ QUOTE ] this paragraph sums up why alot of americans don't understand whats going on in the world. The above is a deliberately misleeding load of c@#p attempting to deceive people into connecting 9/11 with iraq. This woman is a joke, and anyone who finds a shred of insight in this paragraph is a fool. As for Cindy Sheehan, let her protest. Her actions alone shouldn't bother anyone. If she feels her son died for nothing in a misguided war, it would be unpatriotic not to protest.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:59 PM

Ann rules. Sometimes her remarks are a bit obtuse for people who disagree -- still, I've never read a coherent rebuttal.