Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-19-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Again, I Think I Hate Money

Villain is 20/2 and aggressive post flop.
A few hands before everyone saw me call down all the way with KK and take a buy in from a guy who I had busted earlier, I felt he was on a bluff and he was, but he talked a lot of smack, which can only help my image. So the Villain definitely sees me as aggressive....

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($109.65)
UTG+1 ($89.70)
UTG+2 ($19.55)
Hero ($269.35)
MP2 ($115.15)
MP3 ($80.70)
CO ($100)
Button ($139.35)
SB (Villain) ($284.69)
BB ($110.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($9) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $25</font>, Hero calls $17.

Turn: ($59) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $50</font>, Hero calls $240.35 (All-In)

Final Pot: $349.35

My flop call was a little loose, but I thought he might be making a play at me, since he saw that KK hand before, maybe he thought I would fold it down if he represented a set.
At the time when I bet the turn I thought he would call with 2 pair or a set, but I may have only gotten calls from a better flush... please flame away....
Old 08-19-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Again, I Think I Hate Money

I can't say I'm crazy about the flop call. Consider a reraise-push if and only if you think he'll tend to muck a one-pair hand that he's already raised. Otherwise let 'er go.

As is, when you make your hand, you're pretty much committed. The fact that he's still betting makes me want to call down &amp; bet the river if I'm checked to.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:22 AM

Agreed the flop call was probably not ideal, but I did not think he would put me on the flush draw.
If I call the turn, what happens if the board pairs on the river, or a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes.
I don't think I was good enough to answer that question right there and then, and that is why I pushed.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:24 AM

IMO, this is all standard. Except for the PFR. Fold preflop.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, this is all standard. Except for the PFR. Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really like that flop call? I really think that a push or fold here is the best play, dependent upon opponent's raising standards. If Villain's raising range tends strongly towards hands that have Hero crushed, then this is an easy release; if Villain can do this with hands like AA or AK, I want to move in here, putting him to the test and giving him no good play.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:32 AM

I am trying to be more aggressive, especially preflop, and did manage to steal a lot of blinds this way at this table, but I hear ya, I probabaly should only be doing this in position.
So you do not mind the push, does a hand I am beating call here enough to off set the few times that I am squashed by Ahxh?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:44 AM

I think the flop call is fine because you have position and a well disguised hand. Your hand is not that weak, 2nd pair plus a flush draw. Unlikely villian is on a flush draw himself. Hero noted villian might be making a play here, so just call, and see what develops. Call me weak/tight, but I resist pushing in situations like these.

As far as the turn push goes....Why not? You just made your hand. You have to raise there, IMO. A more standard raise may send up more red flags than a push. And I think it's likely to be called by more hands than just a better flush, which is highly doubful for villian.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 AM

i like this. i dont think that folding to the flop C/R is good being that we have a pair to go with our draw, and the fact that we have postion. a push is ONLY better if we have fold equity, which i don't think we do seeing he C/Red us.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:52 AM

I was probably just being results oriented, since he took the full time and then folded... but better a fold then a paired board on the river. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was probably just being results oriented, since he took the full time and then folded... but better a fold then a paired board on the river. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

My highly results-oriented analysis states that a flop push woulda stacked his ass. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]