Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-18-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Tough Excel Question

I get more turned on by a good Excel thread than I do by anything by Larence Ng.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Concatenate the columns into a long string and vlookup that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also love replying to 20 reply threads with comments that have been made 5 times.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get more turned on by a good Excel thread than I do by anything by Larence Ng.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any thread with your avatar in it counts as a good thread in my book.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Concatenate the columns into a long string and vlookup that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also love replying to 20 reply threads with comments that have been made 5 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ban me.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You could create a fourth column that is the combination of the first two and do a VLOOKUP on that column. Am I misunderstanding your question?

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister is having this problem. The first column is actualy tubing outside diamter (e.g. 0.25 inches) and the 2nd column isn't letters, it's tubing guage (e.g. "20" guage). So if we made a 4th column and combined them, it would look like 0.2520 which doesn't make sense.

She wants the values in column A and B to be user inputed and have it spit out the corresponding C column value.

This is a real pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have to make sense, it will still work. Let's say you add a column that concatenates the contents of cell A2 [i.e. .25] and the contents of cell B2 [i.e. 20] as ".25/20" [The formula would read =concatenate(a2&"/"&b2)]

You could have the user input the value they need [.25/20] into another cell, say G2, and in G3 you have the formula =vlookup(G2,table_array,4,FALSE) to return the required value. The user would just have to know the correct syntax, i.e. outside diameter/guage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I sent her. She said she'll use this unless she could find a better version. She really wanted the user to have to enter "0.25" in 1 box and "20" in another box then have it return the value but entering 0.25/20 is almost just as good, as long as the user inputs the values in the right format.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man... just use Matlab instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The amount of effort people put into creating complicated excel stuff blows my mind when there is much easier solutions out there.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She really wanted the user to have to enter "0.25" in 1 box and "20" in another box then have it return the value but entering 0.25/20 is almost just as good

[/ QUOTE ]

You can easily do this. Make two user-input cells like E1 and F1. Have hidden a third cell like G1 that concatenates these two cells. Do the vlookup on this cell. Voila.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You could create a fourth column that is the combination of the first two and do a VLOOKUP on that column. Am I misunderstanding your question?

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister is having this problem. The first column is actualy tubing outside diamter (e.g. 0.25 inches) and the 2nd column isn't letters, it's tubing guage (e.g. "20" guage). So if we made a 4th column and combined them, it would look like 0.2520 which doesn't make sense.

She wants the values in column A and B to be user inputed and have it spit out the corresponding C column value.

This is a real pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have to make sense, it will still work. Let's say you add a column that concatenates the contents of cell A2 [i.e. .25] and the contents of cell B2 [i.e. 20] as ".25/20" [The formula would read =concatenate(a2&"/"&b2)]

You could have the user input the value they need [.25/20] into another cell, say G2, and in G3 you have the formula =vlookup(G2,table_array,4,FALSE) to return the required value. The user would just have to know the correct syntax, i.e. outside diameter/guage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I sent her. She said she'll use this unless she could find a better version. She really wanted the user to have to enter "0.25" in 1 box and "20" in another box then have it return the value but entering 0.25/20 is almost just as good, as long as the user inputs the values in the right format.

Thanks for everyone's help!

[/ QUOTE ]
What she wants to do is extremely simple. Just have them type into CellA, say, .25 and CellB, say .4. Then use =VLOOKUP(CellA&"_"&CellB,Array,Column#,FAL SE) if you used my underscore method for your KeyColumn.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She really wanted the user to have to enter "0.25" in 1 box and "20" in another box then have it return the value but entering 0.25/20 is almost just as good

[/ QUOTE ]

You can easily do this. Make two user-input cells like E1 and F1. Have hidden a third cell like G1 that concatenates these two cells. Do the vlookup on this cell. Voila.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can do the concatenation right in the vlookup.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You can do the concatenation right in the vlookup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know.