Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Poker Friendly Wireless places?

I play at a couple of wireless places in Memphis...and have also done this on a couple of trips (including wireless places in New Orleans).

I haven't been to the most wireless places in the world but I have never run into a firewall problem.

Also - I'm very seriously considering one of those groovy cell-phone wireless-internet connector things that was discussed in a thread not too long ago. Don't have to worry about playing at a specific hot-spot (and whether thehy might have some Panera-type firewall).

Also - I know my new laptop has the Centrino wireless capability...but i'm not even sure exactly what that is. Will probably look into it (if it's some sort of satellite wireless-almost-anywhere type of thing then I'm DEFINITE interested assuming the rate isn't too ridiculous).
Old 08-09-2005, 08:58 AM

Ahhh gotcha... we play live games in Gwinett all the time but they are small friend of a friend games. None of these "card room" stuff.

btw, Mellow Mushroom is on the list now! Gonna try it tonight.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 AM

Bob, Centrino is no different than any other wireless set-up, just more streamlined, i.e., the parts fit together better. You will still need a hot spot, or pay megabucks.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:11 AM

I play Party at Panera often.

You cannot get to gambling websites but if the Party, Stars, etc. software is already on your PC then you are good.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play Party at Panera often.

You cannot get to gambling websites but if the Party, Stars, etc. software is already on your PC then you are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know if Party software routes directly to the IP rather than using DNS? I believe this could be why.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:05 PM

Forgive me as im computer illiterate but is doing this completely safe? Can someone get info from your computer when you log onto someone elses wireless network? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgive me as im computer illiterate but is doing this completely safe? Can someone get info from your computer when you log onto someone elses wireless network? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think it is completely safe but neither is driving 85 MPH or crossing the street.

I run as firewall so I hope that protects me. My biggest fear is not Panera (they advertise free wifi) it is other patrons using the wifi to hack my lappy.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think it is completely safe but neither is driving 85 MPH or crossing the street.

I run as firewall so I hope that protects me. My biggest fear is not Panera (they advertise free wifi) it is other patrons using the wifi to hack my lappy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your main concern would be the data that is being transmitted to and from your laptop. That is where they will capture the passwords, etc that you send to sites while you are on the network.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:51 PM

If you're making any money, get a verizon aircard(nic card etc...) plug it into your laptop and you are playing anywhere that you can make a phone call at speeds generally 80k up and dwn, plenty for six to eight tables, or if your in a city that has been activated with EVDO, 500k bursting to 2.5megs on the same card for the same price.

The cards were about $50 with a rebate and then $80 per month all you can eat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], I play when and where I want, screw them hotspots and their filters [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co
Old 08-11-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cards were about $50 with a rebate and then $80 per month all you can eat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], I play when and where I want, screw them hotspots and their filters [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are you saying that hotspots (namely Tmobile's) have filters blocking online poker? I'm considering signing up for the Hotspot Year pass, and this would surely be a deal breaker. Much appreciated if anyone knows.