Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: How bad is this weak play of AA against unknown?

Donkbet(n.): A mysterious bet out of the middle of nowhere from someone who has been passive the whole hand, which more than likely represents absolute garbage than anything else.

Donkbettor(n.): One who donkbets.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:40 PM

ok.
He hit the 8 on the turn, giving him two pair. I beat him as it was, but yeah I didn't raise enough to get any information on him in this hand.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:41 PM

I actually think I like the way you played this. To me this isn't your typical turn donkbet, because the board was already paired on the flop and now a rainbow overcard to the flop slides off on turn. It's possible he has trips or a straight, but an 8 is probably more likely and since the pot isn't that big I'm not that interested in forcing out the 3rd player drawing to a gutshot if there's a reasonable chance I'm getting 3-bet by the bettor when I have 4 outs to a boat.
I don't even mind the river raise either, (even though it makes no sense) as long as you fold to a 3-bet. He's calling with probably any pair, and he might even be too confused by your play to 3-bet anyway. Am I in a kind mood today, turning soft, or just insane?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:41 PM

Villain checks, you bet and villain calls. Villain then bets into you on the next street, having shown no agression previously.

You usually see donk bets made on the turn, after you have bet the flop. Possible reasons for this are that the turn card has improved villain's hand or else that he is just a donkey. LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 02:43 PM

The one that confuses me the most is the flop donkbet. As in, I raise preflop from MP-LP and then a EP limper donkbets me on a ragged flop. Then I ask, why would someone with good relative position bet out on the flop when there's a good chance I'll be checkraise bait?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Well, the turn is the most common place for a donkbet, as there are many good reasons an EP player may bet the flop, but a donkbettor is capable of donking it up anywhere he feels the donking is good.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:51 PM

It may have been weak-tight of me to say fold to a 3 bet. I'm still not sure about that. I guess I just give these guys (0.05/0.10) the benifit of the doubt more often than not until proven otherwise. It's generally a sea of loose-passives with the occasional loose-aggressive.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:06 PM

Grunching

I don't think it's useful to raise to gain information in many cases, especially against an unknown.

I think you're ahead on the turn way more often than you are behind. But I like your line because you want the CO to bet into you on the river and not fold to your turn raise
Old 08-03-2005, 02:18 AM

Yeah....hizo, I like the line that I look at now, BUT I didn't do it FOR that reason. If I had taken the call and then raise the river line intentionally, we'd be in a different boat. However, I was scared to raise on the turn and then decided "ah, screw it" on the river.
So my weak line may have actually been one of the "correct" lines, or optimal for getting bets (I doubt I cost myself a bet here)however, I didn't plan it that way.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:35 AM

I'd pop the turn.
He might just turned an OESD or gutshot, top two pair like 7788 or just TPGK (or twp with a gutshot/OESD).
If he wanted to slowplay his 5, why did he not c/r you?
Also, a raise on the turn is more likely to be called by a worse/drawing hand than a raise on the river.

So raise, raise for value