Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-26-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Thanks all for your responses - RESULT

BB had 99 and my AK never improved.
It's good to know that most of you would have called the BB's All-In.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: AKo All-In Question

[ QUOTE ]
first off, you do know that you have this hand history on your computer, or you should set up your party account to do so. This will save you from using memory in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
I made this post from a different computer.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With your stack size/situation here, my only goal is to get all of my money in. With the BB being a big stack, his range of hands to come over you should be *very* wide, if not he is not much of a player. I think you played it perfect, if you are not willing to get it in the middle vs a big stack while holding AK, you are playing extremely weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea I think calling his all-in is better than folding at this stage in the tournament, but I think going all in first would've been better. Although AK is a strong hand, I'd rather not give small pocket pairs an excuse to call.

If I'm up against big pairs, they're gonna call anyway, and so be it. But if there are small pairs out there, which is just as dangerous for my AK as the big pairs, I would rather have them fold. Although I'm not desperate yet, I'm getting close to that point and I think All-In first would've been better.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:54 PM

With a below-average stack, there's nothing wrong with gambling for a double-up with a premium hand, as opposed to picking up a few chips on a steal. After all, odds are you could push here with 72o and win the blinds.

People will play back at you with a lot of hands when they think you're stealing, so you should give them the chance to. The fact that he had a pair is bad luck, but even then, there's nothing wrong with a coinflip given the tournament situation.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I think calling his all-in is better than folding at this stage in the tournament, but I think going all in first would've been better. Although AK is a strong hand, I'd rather not give small pocket pairs an excuse to call.

If I'm up against big pairs, they're gonna call anyway, and so be it. But if there are small pairs out there, which is just as dangerous for my AK as the big pairs, I would rather have them fold. Although I'm not desperate yet, I'm getting close to that point and I think All-In first would've been better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ignoring the times that Villan has AQ-AX, KQ-KT, when he tries the same move. By open pushing, you are letting these hands off the hook, when a large % of them will resteal.

So, even if the BB was dealt PP and two high cards, the same % of time (which is false, high cards much more often), it would still be correct to give him a chance to resteal. You are either going to faced with a fairly profitable call, or an enourmously profitable call.

If you push, you will win the blinds such a large % of the time, that the strength of you hand really is a minor consideration. (this is given what I assume is a tight image for hero)
Old 07-26-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Thanks all for your responses - RESULT

You played the hand perfect. Just bad luck you didn't improve your hand. And please dont count your stack by comparing with BB only. It's BB + SB and antees aswell if they are in. If you are playing at a full table and your stack is less than (BB + SB + antees) x 20, then your not in good shape.
In this case if blinds were 100/200, you only had a "M" of approximately 10. Thats not being in good shape at all. You should be happy he put you allin, AK is a very good hand to go allin with preflop, when your "M" is only 10.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of results oriented thinking here... i mean, if you had gotted reraised allin here, and villian turned up AJo, or KQ, or somethinig, you'd be pretty happy you didn't push allin right away b/c you'd have scared them off. also, the stack sizes at your point make a resteal move from aggressive opponents appealing, so they might just think to try it with smaller hands.

yeah, if you KNEW one of the blinds had a small or medium pair, then allin would be correct, but normal 3x raise here will almost certianly make you more overall. winning the blinds at this point isn't THAT important here, esp since there aren't antees in the pot.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are ignoring the times that Villan has AQ-AX, KQ-KT, when he tries the same move. By open pushing, you are letting these hands off the hook, when a large % of them will resteal.

So, even if the BB was dealt PP and two high cards, the same % of time (which is false, high cards much more often), it would still be correct to give him a chance to resteal. You are either going to faced with a fairly profitable call, or an enourmously profitable call.

If you push, you will win the blinds such a large % of the time, that the strength of you hand really is a minor consideration. (this is given what I assume is a tight image for hero)

[/ QUOTE ]

damn, i type too slow and get distracted too much, you beat me to it.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:24 PM

As a side note, with 15xBB and players soon to be tightening up as the bubble approaches, I am not sure I pass up a 48/52 coin flip in favor of a garunteed 1.5xBB.

Read this as i pick the coin flip, but I am not sure if it is correct