Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Hiring a friend to beat .50/1

[ QUOTE ]
I expect to be able to teach my friend to beat .50/1 for more than $9 an hour within 100 hours. At this point I will take any profit that they make beyond $9 an hour until I make my $900 back plus a figure I haven’t really determined yet. Maybe another 4 or 5 hundred. Assuming they can beat .50/1 for $15 an hour this should be another 80 hours or so. So in total, this will be about a 6 week commitment from this person. (Assuming 30 hour weeks)

[/ QUOTE ]

He would need to be a 3BB/100 winner from the start of this just to get your 900 back. If he 4 tabled the .5/1 6max game and could beat it for 3BB/100, then he would play about 300 hands / hour.

If he played 30,000 hands after 100 hours, he would then be up $900.

It would take you an additional 55.5 hours to collect your $500 profit.

So you are looking at a project which takes you 155.5 hours to complete.

Your expected return is $500 = $3.22 / hr

Your risk is the bankroll you give him + his salary.

This seems like an awful lot of work for $3.22 / hr, especially when you realize that he will probabaly not accomplish this for a much longer period of time than you think, if at all.

I don't think this is a good idea.

A better way to do it would be to set him up with a rakeback account under your name, and teach him how to play or just play him yourself, HU. (Just kidding about the HU part.)
Old 07-21-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My roomate is fairly decent at poker, better than breakeven at the lower limits. You know what I did? I just put money in his account and let him play! I did not get a cut of the money, I just gave him the cash when he didn't want to play any more.

I wish more people would be like me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But did you pay him to play? The reason I want to do this is so that my friend can quit his shitty job and I can actually dedicate some time to teaching him properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I just gave him money that he won, in cash. After a good ammount of time had passed and he wasn't going to lose it all back or something.

Anyways, my roomate is the poorest college kid I know and once I buy some new monitors I'm going to try and persuade him to use my old computer/monitor setup to make money at the lower limit SNGs instead of being such a poor bitch.

I probably won't even take a cut of his winnings because I don't really care, I'd rather see my friend with the money than me.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:08 PM

He could make 0BB/100 and still make $15 an hour through bonuses over 180 hours...
Old 07-21-2005, 03:12 PM

I'm all for helping out friends, but I just don't like this plan. The time you waste helping your friend would be much more valuable if you simply improve your own game and increase limits. But if you're really interested in helping him out, I think a better approach is to just bankroll him for $.50/1 ($300), go over a few things with him and let him put in the hours on his own. If he wins good, if not, oh well.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My roomate is fairly decent at poker, better than breakeven at the lower limits. You know what I did? I just put money in his account and let him play! I did not get a cut of the money, I just gave him the cash when he didn't want to play any more.

I wish more people would be like me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i did too with my roommate. I want friends who are into poker and have money and that's what I get from getting him going. So worth it.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:56 PM

Stop training more sharks, god dammit! Give them Hellmuth's book instead!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 04:59 PM

where are you clearing such a good bonus?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 PM

Great plan to be a nice friend. Bad plan to make any money.

Are you talking about NL?

How many games do you expect this person to play at a time?

When I converted to online play, I started back at .50/$1 limit and three tabled. I made $10.50 per hour during my first 100 hours...............if you buddy does this well, there sure isn't much profit for you.

Good luck.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 10:53 PM

Along the lines of what others have said, do this for your friend, not for your own investment.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's what i did too with my roommate. I want friends who are into poker and have money and that's what I get from getting him going. So worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!

GoT