Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 09:40 AM

Default KK Ok to not reraise here?

Villain has been aggressive raising just about everyhand to $1 - $2. Has not seemed too terrible yet, although definitely over playing an ace, as I have seen some showdowns with A2, A5, etc... Definitely have not seen him make a preflop raise like this before. As always sorry for the format from bodog, I will try to keep it clean.

Villain - $80
Hero - $47

NL .25/.50
Hero has K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain (UTG) raises to $4.75, 1 fold, Hero calls, 6 folds.
My thought here was the Villain definitely took care of raising enough for me so I do not have to give away my hand. It is possible he is playing AA but also could definitely be Ax with the history I have seen. I know I am probably paying off AA, but if an A comes on the flop, I can get away from the hand if he shows aggression. I can also represent a set on a non A flop although I doubt that will work.

Flop ($10.25) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].... Villain bets $6, Hero reraises to $20, Villain calls.

Turn ($50.25) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].... Villain checks, Hero goes all in for $19.25, Villain calls.

Anything wrong with this line? I normally am very aggressive with premium hands but I thought this line gave me the flexibilty to get away cheap, as well as hide the value of my hand and get it all in the middle by the turn without an A.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: KK Ok to not reraise here?

I would agree with this play...you raise because you don't want a lot of people seeing the flop for cheap and then having someone flop 2 pair or a good draw. His raise made it heads up and your thinking of getting all your money in on the turn was appropriate. That's a large pre flop raise for that limit though, isn't it?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:14 AM

Yes it is a very large preflop raise for .50 BB, I usually make it $3 and then add on for limpers but $4.75 is high. That was part of the reason I was thinking AA.
If he has AA and I reraise I am going to get put all in, and I will call. So my thought was why not just call and see if there is some way I can scare him off AA. If it is not AA I know I am still getting it all in the middle anyway, unless an A comes on the flop.
Obviously I probably would not have posted it if I came out on top, but I just wanted to see if my thought process was valid.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is a very large preflop raise for .50 BB, I usually make it $3 and then add on for limpers but $4.75 is high. That was part of the reason I was thinking AA.
If he has AA and I reraise I am going to get put all in, and I will call. So my thought was why not just call and see if there is some way I can scare him off AA. If it is not AA I know I am still getting it all in the middle anyway, unless an A comes on the flop.
Obviously I probably would not have posted it if I came out on top, but I just wanted to see if my thought process was valid.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just said he overplayed any ace....no way are you pushing this guy off AA. I doubt you could push him off AA if there was a double paired board or four to a flush and he didn't have the ace. I personally think his raise smells a lot more like 1010, JJ or QQ than AA, but maybe it was. You should have pushed the flop, if he has an underpair maybe he folds. I think he hit his set of 10's on the turn.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:39 AM

Djoyce,
That is a very good point, thank you. I thought about pushing the flop, but it seemes like such an over bet that it might get a stubborn AK, AQ to fold and AA or a set (not likely) to call. I admit my thinking was probably a little off there in the heat of the moment, because QQ, JJ, 1010 and maybe even 99 come along for the ride. Do you think the preflop call was ok though, that is part of the game I am trying to work on, not giving my hand away if I don't have to. Trying not to be results oriented.

If he hit his set I could handle that...he had.... Ah 10d.... calling my pot sized raise with 2 overs, and then my all in with TPTK, and caught a 10 on the river.