Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Opinion Wanted on this AK Hand

This was just about my last hand last night so it kinda stuck with me into this morning. Not how it turned out but what I would have done it if I was the Villain. So I am going to describe this hand as if I was the Villian from here on out. It is a hand that seems to have a lot of different lines and I can't decide which I would take. I know it will come up in the future.
Sorry for the converter, I play on bodog, I'll try to keep it clean.

NL .25/.50
Villain UTG ($55.00) no real reads as of yet
UTG +1 ($45.00)seems to call everything preflop, then drops a lot.
Hero ($55.00) Only been here like 10 hands

Hero is dealt AK off, suits will not matter. Villain raises to $3.00, UTG+1 call, Hero calls, 6 folds. (First off would you reraise here?)

Pot: $9.75 Flop comes K 9 3 rainbow.
Villain bets $9, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls. (Would a raise here be out of the question, it would need to be like $25 ish and would leave some tough decisions with a call or a raise)

Pot: $27.75 Turn comes A
Villain checks, hero checks (same thing, looks like any bet would commit hero here with 2 pair and he could be behind a slow played set)

Pot: $27.75 River comes 6
Villain checks, Hero???? (I am thinking you have to bet here, but how much, and what if the Villain pushes?)

I feel like I am just missing a good line here so help me out if you can, thanks!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Opinion Wanted on this AK Hand

bet the river for 15 to 20.

I've rarely seen a checked turn followed by a checked raised river.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:29 AM

Not too many people will slowplay a set by potting the flop.

Looks like he didn't like the turn. I think you need to put in at least 1/2 pot on the turn, I'm fine with going all in if he comes back.

Bet the river
Old 06-29-2005, 11:43 AM

I guess one of my main concerns was should I be willing to make an all in call with either TPTK on the flop, or top two pair against the pre flop raiser, but I have AK, he has to have the other two of one or the other (AA being a little more likely with the check on the turn) and that is just not gonna happen that often. IF he does just reload.
Looks like a call on the flop and a bet on the turn... but what it the turn is a blank? Still have TPTK and he checks to me.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a call on the flop and a bet on the turn... but what it the turn is a blank? Still have TPTK and he checks to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the turn is a blank, and there's no likely draws on the board, I like checking behind because a raise pre-flop, a bet on the flop, and a check on the turn usually means the flop missed him and he was making a continuation bet. By checking behind on the turn, you can induce a bluff on the river by hands like AQ and AJ which would fold if you bet on the turn instead of checking behind. He might even make value bets with hands like QK, QQ, or JJ.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:18 PM

I'm re-raising preflop with position and a caller in the middle. Bet the river for sure. I'd say $15, possibly folding to a c/r but probably not. I like the check on the turn.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, like I said the hand was much more interesting for me from the Villain's perspective. I think I am definitely betting the river, if not the turn... I usually reraise this pre flop, not sure if I would have here with 6 people still to act. We'll see if I react correctly next time this situation comes up.

I on the other hand had QQ and figured when I got a caller on the flop and then the A fell, I was losing this one and not calling any real bet. He checked it through the river, with his AK, which is why I think I originally got confused with the hand. When he checked it through I thought for a split second maybe I beat a smaller pocket pair that could not let it go on the flop.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:35 PM

I Think you can justify a call preflop but I prefer a raise just to let him know you have a hand and not to get fancy, if he reraises your down with it already.
Once u called the call on the flop and the check on the turn is fine but im pretty confidnet you have the best hand by the river and you should bet between 12 and 16. If you get raised on the river then I would be seriously confused, I would probably call though figuring he was either a genius or a moron and he is more likely to be a moron