Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 11:11 PM

Default FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS IN 2 MONTHES!!!

or something like that. anyway predictions go here, i think both of the teams that went to the superbowl have a good shot to make it back, barring holdouts or injuries etc. what i want here is dark horse picks and overrated.

NFC darkhorse - the vikings because they signed so many defensive helpers and still have most of the amazing offense they had last year. sure losing moss hurts, but seriously this team had a terrific offseason. honorable mention goes to the cardinals if kurt warner can resurrect his flagging career, and they are in a horrible division.

NFC overrated - cant think of any at this moment, maybe the seahawks, who didnt seem to get any better but will probably still be the pick in the nfc west

AFC Dark Horse - The ravens, who signed some good replacements on defense and a good wideout, with the return of a healthy jamal lewis could very well unseat the steelers in the afc north

AFC overrated - The jets, who didnt seem to do anything besides release their kicker and lost their future running back to free agency. oh right, they traded one wideout for another. cant see them making the playoffs again in a crowded crowded afc where they will probably have to get a wild card to get in since they are in the same division with the pats

well, lets get this forum off on the right foot! lets hear your picks
Old 06-17-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS IN 2 MONTHES!!!

Please refer to 2002 Chad and Coles numbers. Jets will unseat the Pats. Edit: Also, "lose their future running back" how the hell would you suggest they keep him? Pay 6 mil a year for a backup? Or release the AFC's leading rusher?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:43 PM

not sure what a monthe is but ...

NFC i like the Vikings to actually do something this year and i have hope for my falcons.

AFC Ravens also look good, cant imagine the pats will roll over and die either.

lets hear some more i basically agreed with the original post but i was thinkng the same thing
Old 06-17-2005, 11:44 PM

Bills win the AFC East.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jets will unseat the Pats.

[/ QUOTE ]

hm... interesting theory... not gonna happen though
Old 06-17-2005, 11:54 PM

I don't think either of your dark horse picks fit the definition. They are probably the two conventional picks for most improved teams.

IMO The overrated teams are the Colts, Packers, Chargers, and the Vikings.

If you feel like going out on a limb pick one of the following - Texans, Raiders, Chiefs, Cowboys, Bucs, or Saints

Here are the teams that missed last year's playoffs that should not be in the running for dark horse because the mainstream media thinks they will improve or be playoff contenders.

AFC
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Baltimore
Bengals

NFC
Vikings
Panthers

Here is Benny's playoff prediction

AFC division champs

East - Pats 12-4
South - Colts 11-5
North - Ravens 11-5
West - Cheifs 10-6

WildCards

Steelers 11-5
Buffalo 10-6

NFC dvision champs

East Philly 12-4
North Vikings 9-7
South Panthers 11-5
West Rams 9-7

Wild Cards

Falcons 10-6
Saints 9-7
Old 06-18-2005, 12:06 AM

Well, you didn't exactly go out on a limb with your dark horses. Here's mine:

NFC: Giants. The latest Manning clone will be much improved, and Coughlin has had some time to figure out which guys will buy into his system. The O-line will make or break them.

AFC: The Bengals have drafted really well the past couple years, and I expect Lewis to translate all that good young talent into a playoff berth. Besides, it's about time something newsworthy happened in Cincinnati.

Overrateds:
NFC: Packers. Brett Favre is a year older and he continues to destroy his team in big games. They didn't make any big changes to a horrible D, and the NFC North is becoming less of a cakewalk.

AFC: Denver. There will be serious questions about Shanahan's job security as the season progresses.

I'm most interested to see how the Patriots do after losing both coordinators. Their in-game adjustments have been a remarkable part of their success, and nobody really knows how much of that was Belichick as opposed to his assistants. I'm also interested to see just how awesome Sunday Ticket is, since this will be my first season having it in my place.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:04 AM

I agree with the Vikings pick as a team to watch this season. They should unseat the Packers this season as division champs, and should push deep in the playoffs. There is a lot on the line this year for Tice so he needs a succesful season. I do not think the Packers are overrated anywhere outside the state of WI. Does anyone expect a deep playoff push from them? Depending on who Losman and Boller mature the Bills, and Ravens could be two very interesting teams this season in the AFC.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:48 AM

Stinks that the year the Saints are finally going to the Superbowl, it's going to be in Detroit. I don't even have a winter jacket.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:18 AM

Mike Williams for ROY

and i agree that the Super Bowl in Detroit was the worst idea the NFL has ever had.