Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Hey Grunch (No strat. content)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if I filter out everything but 2/4, my stats are still smileyface stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ever since I got Pokertracker - even back in the fall when it wasn't cool!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] is the new $

[/ QUOTE ]

I know...the funny thing is that back then, I had to preface all my posts with "I'm looser than almost all of you guys, but..."

now I'm tighter than everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if I filter out everything but 2/4, my stats are still smileyface stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ever since I got Pokertracker - even back in the fall when it wasn't cool!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] is the new $

[/ QUOTE ]

I know...the funny thing is that back then, I had to preface all my posts with "I'm looser than almost all of you guys, but..."

now I'm tighter than everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true up in small stakes, too?

Wonder why people are moving looser. I'm still pretty solid in the TA range (eagle), and stay there, although for a while when I started 1/2 I was [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], too.

KO
Old 04-21-2005, 06:32 PM

I was a $ for a long, long time. Then for various reasons I made a concerted effort to loosen up a bit PF. I'm now at 22, and I think that's my natural level.

Playing 6m had a big effect on my PF game.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Playing 6m had a big effect on my PF game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this true up in small stakes, too?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, since I basically only play 6 max these days, and the community of 1/2, 2/4, or 3/6 6max players who post in HUSH (or here) isn't nearly as large as the millions of Party .50/1 players. So, it's more difficult, for better or worse, to come to a 'consensus' on what is right. Also, it seens there is much less stat talk that goes on in HUSH than here, particulary small stakes stats.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile, I think I'm going to start taking shots at the 100+9's again pretty soon. I'll probably just do what I did before - skim the profits from a 2/4 session to pay for the buyin. If it goes well, the MTTs should start funding themselves, and I'll be back on the trail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey GrunchCan, how did you get started in NL tournaments (I presume the $100+9s are NL?)?

I'm gonna pick on Grunch because of his incriminating quote, but this is more of an open question to any microers who are learning NL tourneys. Did you start with books? Observation of skilled players? Just by playing and eating the losses?

Sorry, I know this probably belongs in STT or MTTs, but I'm especially interested in the microer's perspective on this.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 PM

Good lord that was fast. How many hands do you play / day?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Very Long & Boring

[ QUOTE ]
how did you get started in NL tournaments

[/ QUOTE ]

The most important thing that ever happened to my NL MTT game was HoH.

After just putzing around for fun, probably like everyone else, I decided I was going to take it serious. I had played a bunch of NL ring games - not as much as limit. I had read the Ciaffone/Rubin book. Then I read TPFAP and HoH. HoH was the big watershed book for me. Not only did I feel like I got tourneys, but I also felt like I got NL play in general. I mean, I'm no expert. But I think HoH changed me from the type of player I usually destroy in limit games to a solid advanced-beginner.

I got it in to my head that I was better than most of the dead money that goes to the WSOP. This was probably 90% unjustified ego and 10% justified ability. But it made me set a tangible goal for myself: win a seat at the 2k5 WSOP ME.

I had been winning a bunch of money at the 2/4 tables, so I skimmed some off and as soon as the satellites started, I went over to stars and started entering tourneys. At first I started playing 3-table $10 sit & gos and scheduled low-buyin rebuy tourneys. I did OK, but I needed study. I reread HoH, ToP and HPFAP during my annual ski trip. On one of the last days of the trip, I entered a WSOP satellite on stars. It was $33+rebuys, and paid seats to the WSOP. I came in 11th out of something like 1200. I got nothing - only the top 7 got paid.

THat tourney was a pretty signifigant one for me, for a couple reasons. For one thing, I felt that I played pretty well. I busted out of the tournament not becasue of a bad beat or getting blinded away - I busted becasue I made a mistake. I deserved to lose. But I did learn from my mistake, and I know what I did wrong.

For another thing, I realized that if this had been a regular cash tournament, I would have been paid about $600 for my 11th place finish. I decided then and there that I would never play in an other satellite - only cash tournies for me.

With rebuys, addons & the buyin, I paid $100 for that tourney. Probably some of the best $100 I ever spent. Becasue I spent $100 and it didn't really hurt too much (bankroll wise), $100 buyins were about right for me. I also knew that I prefered no-rebuy tourneys to rebuy tournies, so I started playing the $100+9 MTTs exclusively. My goal now was to go to the WSOP ME, but pay cash when I got there. I'd get that cash exclusively from MTTs. I would not tap in to my limit roll to pay the 10k entry.

The rest, as they say, is history. I entered 4 big MTTs, and cashed in 3. 2 of the cashs were huge - 1500 and 3000. There was not a small number of entrants - over 1000 in one case. That was it, I was hooked.

I almost made my goal. I came within 2 more big cashs of going to the WSOP, and then my tax fiasco happened. That's ok - at least I could pay the bill. My wife was very happy when I transferred all that money to the house account, and so its all good.

Now I've build my bankroll back up to where I'm very comfortably grinding the 2/4 limit games, and I'm ready to get back to the 100+9's. I've only got a few weeks left. But if my lucky streak continues (I'm feeling very lucky right now and my winrate is showing that luck), I have a remote chance of going to the WSOP.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good lord that was fast. How many hands do you play / day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many. My winrate has far exceeded my ability. It took me only about 7k hands to go from .5/1 to 2/4.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Very Long & Boring

This is very inspiring dude.

Do you frequent the MTT forum? (I know all my questions should be asked there but I don't know what happens there and would rather not get flamed for asking total noob questions)

How many 3-table sng's did you play before graduating to the 100+9? I've read HoH and dabbled in them lately (perhaps 20 tourneys so far) and am currently in the green but don't have the balls to step up to that level yet. I started playing HE with the idea that some day I could play NL at a high level but found the easy $$ at limit has distracted me from that goal. My current plan is to continue playing $5 and $10 MTT's and keep reading HOH repeatedly until I have the same familiarity with that that I have with SSH. I'm not leaving limit yet (I need the income) I'm just planning on continuing to have one table of NL going from time to time as I grind away bonuses. Should I be hanging out at the MTT forum or is HoH good enough? (I found it weird the few times I checked it out previously) What kind of a track record should I be looking for before stepping up or is it just a confidence thing (I have the bankroll)?

Any advice you could give me is very much appreciated.

Good luck at the WSOP!