Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Stock my bar

I know, Patron's silver is good, but silver is mostly for shooting anyway so I'd rather buy the gold from the best.

I've had both Sauzas you mentioned and they're good. I was also suprised to find that Cuervo makes a decent Reposado called "Cuervo Tradicional," but I think it's only available in Mexico and maybe parts of the southwest. I've never seen it here in the north.

NT
Old 03-31-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know, Patron's silver is good, but silver is mostly for shooting anyway so I'd rather buy the gold from the best.

I've had both Sauzas you mentioned and they're good. I was also suprised to find that Cuervo makes a decent Reposado called "Cuervo Tradicional," but I think it's only available in Mexico and maybe parts of the southwest. I've never seen it here in the north.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're a true tequalia man, check out cuervo de la familia. it's pricey (probably 80-100) but it's definitely worth it. the only cuervo i will drink.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:33 AM

Jameson 12 Year.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jameson 12 Year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Macallan's is so much better.

And it's not even close.

God i feel like a douche for saying that.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:17 AM

Patron isn't nearly as good as others in its price range. Try the Casa Noble Reposado if you're looking for a $45-50 tequila. For vodka, you have no reason to get anything but Fris. It's inexpensive ($20/1.75L) and better than anything you can get for less than $25/750mL. Absolut is overpriced and not particularly good - as is the case with Patron you're paying for marketing. Finlandia's surprisingly good chilled. Skyy is ok, but still overpriced and not spectacular. Among the premium brands I like Vox and Mor.

For gin, I like having both Tanqueray and Sapphire on hand - I think the Tanqueray makes a better gin & tonic but the Sapphire's better in most cocktails. Hendrick's is my favorite gin, but it's pricier.

Rum - it depends. Mount Gay's inexpensive rum is a good basic option, as is Bacardi 8.

Whisk(e)y - For bourbon get Knob Creek and/or Maker's Mark to start. I prefer Knob Creek, but a fair number of people lean the other way. As you move up in price try the Woodford Distiller's reserve, the Pappy Van Winkle 15-year and Booker's. (Booker's being my favorite of the bunch.) Both Sazerac and van Winkle make good ryes in the 40-dollar range, but I'd suggest starting with bourbons. For scotch - the Balvenie Doublewood is a safe bet, as is the Macallan (anything). The Macallan cask strength is at the top of your price range but very good. The Laphroaig 10 will let you try peatier scotch. In general, the good ones in this category tend to be expensive. For Irish whiskey, I like the basic Bushmill's.

Miscellany - there's a lot of this. Get bitters, cointreau and vermouth and you'll have a decent start.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my friend gave me a bottle of macallan's 18 yr last night. oh. my. god. it was the best liquid to ever touch my tongue. i just have to save up $450 for the bottle of macallan's 25 year. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Macallan 18 is excellent. I generally prefer peatier scotch but I always have a bottle of something Macallan on hand.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whiskey:
Jack Daniels for a nice bourbon

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack daniels is not bourbon......
Old 03-31-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gin:
Bombay Sapphire for a nice clean gin
Tanqueray No. 10 for a fruity gin
Both are excellent

Vodka:
Stolichnaya Original
Any flavors you feel you need. My favorite is the black cherry (I can't even remember who makes it, it's a white bottle)

Whiskey:
Jack Daniels for a nice bourbon
Macallan's 12 yr. for a good single malt scotch

Tequila:
Patron Gold
Patron Silver

Others I like (choose by what you like/want):
Malibu Original
Hypnotiq
Blue Curaçao
Rumpleminz
Jagermeister
Generic Irish Cream Liquer
Generic Kaluah
Schnapps in whatever flavor you want (i like berry flavors)

These aren't necessarily the BEST price:taste performance, but people you invite over are going to want things like JD and everything on this list will be extremely easy to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack Daniels is neither bourbon nor nice.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:45 AM

Last 2 posters are both wrong. It is by definition, a bourbon, although it is never really referred to as one.

Tennessee whiskey is a kind of bourbon, as it is made from fermented mash.

EDIT:

Interesting, there is actually an argument over the clear definition of Bourbon, and some people think there is one slight difference ( in terms of aging) that makes Tennesse Whiskey not classifiable as such.

So without a clear defintion of the term, neither is right.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:47 AM

Porfidio Silver Tequila
Kahlua
Frangelico
Hershey's Syrup

-2kF