Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Hmm, AKo at a tight table

This table is tight. There are 9 people at the table during the hand and 8 of them have a VPIP below 20%. There is one guy making the game good and he is only about 30% VPIP. If he doesn't play in a pot, it is probably (like 50% of the time) getting folded to the blinds where they can fight it out. My lineup includes 4 moneybags, 2 eagles (one of which is a 2+2er), 2 rocks and the LP.

I had played about 80 hands at the table and I was playing tight but I wasn't afraid to take a flop with just the intention of trying to steal postflop. As such, my AF at the table is ~ 5.0 from me trying to pick up pots on the flop when I miss. The villian in the hand is a 18/9/7 guy after about 120 hands. He has been running pretty well but is certainly very aggressive. The BB is also a moneybag according to PT.

Party Poker 2/4 (9 Handed)

Hero is delt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG

Hero limps, One fold, Villian calls, Five folds and the BB checks.

I'm almost surely going to limp-reraise if given the option. Someone might not like my limp here and raise with a dominated hand like AQ or AJ.

Flop (3 Players, 3.5 SB): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets, Villian raises, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn (2 Players, 3.5 BB): A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villian bets and Hero calls.

River (2 Players, 5.5 BB): A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero...?

I honestly don't know what to do here. Lead? Check/raise? Check/call? Meh?

Any and all postflop comments appreciated.

Brad
Old 03-22-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Hmm, AKo at a tight table

Checkraise. I think he'll bet QJ (KJo?) here.

Rob
Old 03-22-2005, 08:36 PM

I would CR here. I think your hand will be the best a lot more times than it won't. I've never had a chance to limp with AK before. Never stick around at a tight table, but I guess you can't choose during a reload.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:37 PM

Checkraise sounds good here. It's possible he's got KQ, but you take your chances. His VPIP is tight, but not so tight that he will not play other hands besides KQ. At this point, since you have not demonstrated a lot of aggression, he probably thinks you flopped top pair or are drawing to a flush or straight, and since you probably didn't get it, he's using his aggression to take you out.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:41 PM

I strongly dont like the limp UTG with AK no matter what the circumstances are. I think you should of check raised the turn or just bet, and the bet the river. I think thats pretty standard.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:57 PM

I'd go for a c/r. I would've expected KQ to raise pf, I would expect it more from an aggressive thinking player that would like to isolate you. If he does have it, oh well, it happens, but I think your ahead often enough for the check raise to be profitable (maybe one of the math types could work it out).

I think the pf limp is ok given the table, since you're looking at getting raised more often than not and can re-raise. It's a tad FPS imo, but I have never LRR once. If I was ever to, this was as good an opportunity as any.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:13 AM

I bet out.
If he really doesnt have anything, he's not going to bet as it's pretty clear that you're not going anywhere, and you lose a bet. Also, if he does bet, there is a chance he doesn't call your raise, making it the same value as just betting out.