FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: 2005 Microquests Thread -- Post Your Progress, Setbacks

[ QUOTE ]
Well; my goals aren't as lofty as most of yours...but my poker goals are:

1) Move up to 1/2 and be constantly beating it by the end of the year
2) To get poker tracker
3) Be able to hold my own in the 2+2 Tables

Also, when do I have to worry about taxes on what I win? Is there a certain $ value I have to pass or should I be doing it no matter how much I win? I'm in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you crazy Canucks aren't taxed on gambling. Hosers.

Rob
Old 01-07-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5.26, 4.07, 2.67 for a totagg of 4.07. Is that ridiculous?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that probably signifies a leak in your game. Can't tell overall without seeing hands you post, but it's definitely a sign.

Rob
Old 01-07-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is your call button broken? Seriously though you have a leak. Too much aggression means your not playing the passive lines enough. Look into this as it's a key weapon in my arsenal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my call button might as well be broken. My problem is I just don't know where the aggression is misplaced. I'm going to give some of the respected 2+2ers around here 200 hands or so and have them look at them. At least my vpip is 14.xx, so the ridiculous aggression is neutered in some respects by the few hands I play. meh.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Play 15/30 online by the end of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

best of luck. you at 2/4 now?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Play 15/30 online by the end of the year.
Become a 5/10 6max regular.
Incorporate so I can better deduct losses from my earnings.
Play 10/20 live by the end of the year.
Attend a 2+2 meetup in Vegas.
Play 200,000 hands.
Learn to properly play NLHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty much the same. Except, I don't think I'll be regularly playing 15/30 (maybe take a shot or two). I'm gonna have to buy that book you linked, maybe then I'll understand this incorporating thing.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good place to start are the monthly Crypto bonus's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as a warning from experience, if you live in the US expect to wait 10 days before playing on these sites if you use Firepay
Old 01-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Looks like this has expanded beyond micro stuff. Groovy. Probably fitting that I contribute.

I moved up to 2/4 two months ago after nearly 90,000 hands of .5/1, and have settled into the 4-tabling grind after a bit of a rocky start.

My future goals have always been fluid. Poker has been my primary source of income from day 1... though I've been lucky enough not to have to withdraw much from my roll along the way. I live modestly, and a few timely influxes of cash have been enough to carry me over without getting myself into too much trouble.

I'm now in a position to make (for me) a reasonable living while adding to my roll. So the question is: do I continue my strategy of playing heavily over-rolled at a limit I'm comfortable with and work on adding some tables, or should I make the move to 3/6 a little sooner than I'd planned? It's something I'll have to figure out as I go. How successful I am $ wise in the next month or two will be an important consideration.

In the meantime, my game can certainly use some work, so I'm going to make the effort to post more again. Here and in SS. Thanks to all who have helped me on my way (whether or not you realized it).
Old 01-07-2005, 08:05 PM

Play both 3/6 and 2/4, breakdown your play, find out the differences in the limits, datamine, and post post post.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want to play 5-10 at 3 or more tables by the end of the year. This is very doable, I think. Hopefully only 10k more hands 1/2 (another month, maybe less). I've been told that 2/4 is quite good.

Another goal of mine is to figure out how the hell my aggro factor is so large. My 1/2 numbers (over 5k hands) are even higher than my .5/1 numbers. 5.26, 4.07, 2.67 for a totagg of 4.07. Is that ridiculous? Or does that mean that my variance goes up, but so does my winrate?

I'll probably end up getting a coach. Someone local (easypete maybe).

I need another monitor, too.

Taxes!? Hopefully I won't go to jail...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your call button broken? Seriously though you have a leak. Too much aggression means your not playing the passive lines enough. Look into this as it's a key weapon in my arsenal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah like when I use my ultra secret bluff cold-overcall (damn it's not a secret any more) [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. They never know what hits them and I tell the dealer to just push the pot to the guy with the most awesome hat. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Brad
Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and post post post.

[/ QUOTE ] I've given this advice dozens of times. Funny that it's coming back around to me. Thanks for the nudge.

Frankly, the biggest obstacle is time/energy. I still find it difficult to put in full days at the table, let alone think about doing much more than reading through a few interesting looking threads. I'm sure it'll improve over time. Especially since I have no intention of playing this much once I can afford to slow down a little. Poker is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

I recognize that I was learning more quickly when I was more involved. I'll have to find a way to get back to it. Others manage it and put in more hands/day than I do.