Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Curtains Hand #2

[ QUOTE ]
People who claim that they don't understand the math and fold in this spot are FOS. You can't just shove a lot more as your position improves or as your get shorter because the calling ranges go up as well. The NE here is like 65% push and 30% call. 94o is one of the last hands that you should be looking to shove here. This is a clear fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree a lot with this statement and line of reasoning. Its almost surely correct to push in a vacuum against a typical internet opponent, because they will not call enough, nor are they aware of the nash equilibrium. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to give too much credit to your opponents, which is what you seem to be doing.

However I don't think that its giving too much credit to suspect that theyll notice you push 100% of the time in certain situations. The regulars loosen up on me quite a bit when Ive been pushing like a maniac, I dont want them writing some note next to my name "pushes any 2 with 7x bb from the SB".

Anyway this is a special type of case, in general I will never knowingly pass up EV for a hand. Its just that too many hansd like this can make many current +EV situations turn into neutral or -EV situations in not just this tournament but in many future ones as well.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:08 AM

This did cross my mind when I looked at the HH. None of the players where playing at your other tables, but that doesn't mean they weren't regulars.

I considered that maybe it was to have more FE vs the BB later, but didn't think you'd pass up on 300 chips for that, and that it's a move you'd do in level 4 or 5 but not 6.

I also considered that it was for future FE (ie in other games), but like I said none of these guys were at your other tables.

I thought this hand was most probally just something you skipped while multitabling, but I was kinda hoping it was something more than that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I did notice how many regulars there are.

[ QUOTE ]
I play the same opponents too often for me to just blindly move allin with any two from the SB in spots like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you do change gears though? If you stop the push any 2 behaviour, they then tighten their calling range, allowing you to push any 2 more profitably. When they catch on you tighten up your range. Are the typical players able to notice when you change your pushing ranges?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 AM

Honestly probably it was correct to push, despite all the other concerns, but its close IMO. I just try to avoid getting into exploitable situations where I am turning over stuff like 62o, 93o etc...it looks relaly bad. If I push with T7o, it doesnt mean Im pushing any two cards, but when I start pushing 94o, it usually does, and those whom Im playing can make a note about that.

All of this above stuff is probably irrelevant for anything under the $215s, and even in the $215s you dont want to take it too far.