Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Getting value from low-mid pocket pairs

General question..

I've been playing pocket pairs in almost any position, assuming I could get in cheap and the opponents effective stacks have been reasonable (10x or more the bet to me)

However, I've found very few occasions where they are making me very much money.

What I've been doing-

Dry flops:
Out of position - against a tight opponent, will just bet the flop. Against an aggro opponent who I know will bet their position, I will check/call.
In position - will call a bet to me, and then re-raise their turn bet

Draw heavy flops:
Out of position- I will fire a PSB immediately
In position - will immediately reraise their bet

What else can I do to get the most money out of these pockets? I think most of the value comes from people with overpairs (AA,KK).

The table sees me as pretty tight, so anyone with just top pair will almost always fold to a reasonable sized raise.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Getting value from low-mid pocket pairs

With small pocket pairs I usually play fit or fold unless I have a real solid read read on villain's CB pattern. I'm not calling anything. I'm either raising or folding. This will disguise your hand when you have a set and will also keep someone who makes too many CBs in line.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:13 PM

I'm a hit or fold guy with these. If someone raised preflop, i may reraise on the flop if there are no face cards. If I raised preflop, then I'll send out a continuation bet. <font color="green"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> At these levels, I try not to get tricky.

I think these two below aren't ideal situations (I'm assuming that your opponent is drawing since you don't have much drawing ability with pockets).

Draw heavy flops:

Most lower limit players don't care about pot odds with their draws, especially with the nut flush draw. I'd run PT stats on these situations and see how you do.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What I've been doing-

Dry flops:
Out of position - against a tight opponent, will just bet the flop. Against an aggro opponent who I know will bet their position, I will check/call.
In position - will call a bet to me, and then re-raise their turn bet

Draw heavy flops:

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean this is what you do when you flop a set? You'd be getting destroyed if you habitually played under pairs like this.
Edit: If you're playing full ring. This might be ok for 6-max.