Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-12-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? info?

[ QUOTE ]
even went to some AA meetings...

[/ QUOTE ]

Find out who her sponsor is and let them know she needs help. If it's a good AA or NA group, they'll gang up to help her.

Also, even if you don't get totally clean yourself, pretend you are. Tell your friend you're quitting drug use and she should too. Stop usinig any drugs around her.

Then, be her friend. Let her know you care about her and don't want her to hurt herself. Let her know you will help her if she needs it.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? info?

see if you can spot the two horrible pieces of advice.

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a good AA or NA group, they'll gang up to help her.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Also, even if you don't get totally clean yourself, pretend you are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? in

TOSS HER IN THE SLAMMER!!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the best post in this thread. I really wonder if people are still stuck in the 19th century when it comes to addictions.

craig

p.s. Excorcisms must be performed by Priests, Rabbis fck the whole thing up. I mean, I wasn't even Jewish before.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree personally with AA, but it works for some people. Just like religion keeps some people from killing or stealing or whatever. Some people need it. And drug abusers are the type that can often benefit from the AA/NA religion.

And yeah, if you're a user, not an abuser, you shouldn't use around your abuser friends. You might want to consider just plain quitting, but if you're not ready for that, then for your friend's sake, don't use around her.

Whatever. My advice is good. I don't see anyone else offering useful firsthand advice for how to help drug addict friends.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree personally with AA, but it works for some people. Just like religion keeps some people from killing or stealing or whatever. Some people need it. And drug abusers are the type that can often benefit from the AA/NA religion.

And yeah, if you're a user, not an abuser, you shouldn't use around your abuser friends. You might want to consider just plain quitting, but if you're not ready for that, then for your friend's sake, don't use around her.

Whatever. My advice is good. I don't see anyone else offering useful firsthand advice for how to help drug addict friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that you have no idea whether your advice is "right". They don't "gang up on you" at AA/NA. In fact, they don't make you do anything there. So, I don't think the person is knocking AA/NA, but knocking the idea that they gang up on you.

And why don't you think that people are offering good "firsthand" advice. Some of the advice in the thread is pretty good. Yes, there are differentiating opinions, but drug addiction is not black and white.

craig
Old 12-13-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone ever been present at an intervention?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I am the one who facilitated it. I second the recommendation, as quoted below. The intervention will most likely only be successful if you have a treatment center already lined up and ready to take her in that same day. The treatment center usually can provide you with someone who will do the intervention with family/friends as part of the treatment cost.

If you're interested, I can share my story of how it went with the one I facilitated.

[ QUOTE ]
Your friend sounds like she's in bad, bad shape. I don't think that kind of person just wakes up one day and decides to stop, or generally has the willpower to go cold turkey after an intervention. When getting clean means staying sober for two or three days, and the way she celebrates is to go off on another bender, then the only way you can even hope to turn it around is to be forced sober for an extended period. It sounds to me like you need to convince her to go into rehab and dry out for a couple weeks (at least) somewhere. I know that costs money, but I don't see another solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above words are VERY VERY true.