Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Hand vs Carlos Mortensen in Bellagio 3K

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The mini raise just reeks of strength to me. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

in my experience, i think the mini-raise seems to be used when:

a newbie/donk is really weak and holds a mediocre hand or wants to bluff without risking many chips

OR

a savvy player who is looking to feign weakness in order to induce their opponent to come over the top of their monster hand

i don't think Carlos falls into the "newbie/donk" category.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your argument is that a player is exceptionally talented and therefore the amount of his bet reveals his cards to you.

Now, are you sure that's what you want to go with? Because I believe you only have so long before you can no longer edit your comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

congrats for being yet another 2+2er who just can't seem to resist acting like a prick and assuming a "i'm so much better/more knowledgeable than you" attitude when they disagree with something someone else posted instead of simply replying civilly.

i don't know about you but most of us are here to learn and aren't ashamed to admit it.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:41 AM

without looking at other replies-

he has A7 72 or 77 or a high-ish spade and you're dead meat (or close to it). I do not call.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
congrats for being yet another 2+2er who just can't seem to resist acting like a prick and assuming a "i'm so much better/more knowledgeable than you" attitude when they disagree with something someone else posted instead of simply replying civilly.

i don't know about you but most of us are here to learn and aren't ashamed to admit it

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of however he phrased it, KneeCo is entirely correct. They are "pros"/ amazing poker players, and therefore bet size does not indicate too much regarding their hands.

Remember at the 2005 WSOP, matusow min raised bottom pair against black.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:33 PM

Smart player + bet size = undefined.

KneeCo is correct, no matter how he said it.

-Gross
Old 12-08-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i don't know about you but most of us are here to learn and aren't ashamed to admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I do take a jab at you at the end there for comedic value, sorry if I offended, but I actually stand by what I posted. It's difficult to say what a great player is, however if we were to setup some kind of operational definition, I'm fairly certain that being unpredictable would be on there. As such, there is am irreconcilable contradiction in your argument. That's all I was trying to say.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I do take a jab at you at the end there for comedic value, sorry if I offended, but I actually stand by what I posted. It's difficult to say what a great player is, however if we were to setup some kind of operational definition, I'm fairly certain that being unpredictable would be on there. As such, there is am irreconcilable contradiction in your argument. That's all I was trying to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice response.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the apology ... and i agree that you were correct in basically saying that, by definition, the motivations behind a savvy player's bet size shouldn't be transparent.

i don't want to make too much of this because your response really didn't bother me that much or surprise me but my point was simply that we are all here to learn and by ridiculing the opinions of others simply for "comedic value", two things occur:

a) people become less likely to post their opinions for fear of being insulted and

b) the opinions that are posted tend to reflect "groupthink" - again, because people with controversial opinions are wary of being insulted.

in my opinion, a number of valued 2+2 contributers rarely/no longer post here simply because people seem to find it necessary to ridicule those they disagree with instead of engaging in civil debate. i'm not saying we should all stand around a campfire singing "kumbaya" ... i'm just saying a little common courtesy for the opinions of others wouldn't hurt.

however, others are obviously free to disagree.