Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-25-2005, 11:33 PM

Default When to get the raise in? in position flopped quads PLO100

First hand at the table for me, but a couple people made comments like: "oh great THIS guy" as i sat down... heh... anywhoo, I flopped quads and was wondering when the appropriate time to get a raise in would be, and if i'm leaving money on the table here...

PLO 100 no reads (except: "they're all donks i rule" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), all relavant players have about 100BB stacks...

I am in the CO and post a blind. i get dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and check for a free flop- button folds. there were four other limpers ahead of me and the BB checked... 6 to the flop.

Money! 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

An EP limper bets $1, all call, i call. pot is now $12

I felt that it may have been a good spot to bump the bet like $2-5 more, maybe to bluff-a-bluff, to build a pot to tie them on, and/or give someone a chance to make a play at the pot. i decided not to because of my position, however, fearing that A: someone with an overpair/weak draw would fold it, and/or B: fearing my known aggression, it may just get checked to me on the turn, i'd bet, and all would fold. thoughts on raising this flop? nobody seriously worries about letting a SF come, right?

okay... turn: 7:spades:

four check to the donk on my right, who appearently made a straight or something, 'cause he bets pot. i want more customers so i just call. anyone raise here? unfourtunatly, everyone else folds, it goes HU to the river:

K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]... he checks, i bet pot, he calls, and i get a decent ($70) pot, but i think i left some money on the table here.

anyone have any tips on how to get more out of this one?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: When to get the raise in? in position flopped quads PLO100

I don't think you left much on the table. The only way that you are going to get a big payday on this type of hand is for someone to hit the overfull. For this to occur, you want as many people to see as many board cards as possible.

Minraising (or something like that) is only going to make people suspicious.

I like the turn call. You have to hope that someone else decides to enter the pot.

The fact that the guy called a pot sized bet on the river is a miracle. I probably would have gone with a 1/4 to 1/2 pot sized bet.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Minraising (or something like that) is only going to make people suspicious.

I like the turn call. You have to hope that someone else decides to enter the pot.

The fact that the guy called a pot sized bet on the river is a miracle. I probably would have gone with a 1/4 to 1/2 pot sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]minraising- yes... that's about what i thought, what i think when i see it done to me, and what i have used it for in the past. The benifits of building a pot and offering a chance to re-raise or bluff didn't quite tip the scales in my assesment here.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]turn call- it's too bad they all folded... i was giving the right odds if they thought a nut flush would be good, etc, and the bettor may have been bluffing, etc... Though, he may have just made the (faux)nuts with 77, and i thought about re-raising the minimum and letting him get it all in before an overcard could come to slow'm down.

luckily, he had a straight+nut flush draw. speaking of:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Miracle that he called- yeah... i admit i was a little frustrated with the lack of action on my quads and wanted to make up some ground: one of my biggest leaks (that i'm aware of) in PLO is a tendancy to knee-jerk-pot-bet the nuts on the end instead of carefully value betting. I'm a bit of a mainiac, and willing to make ballsy bluffs, and my opponents generally know this, so i get paid off a lot, but i still think it's a -EV habit. given that, i think a 1/2 pot bet would've been best.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so i get paid off a lot, but i still think it's a -EV habit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nit pick : It's not a -EV habit. It's sub-optimal +EV.