Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:46 PM

Default A5s from the SB flops a monster draw...

Is there any excuse for this river play? How about the turn bet-call?

Canterbury 8/16. Tight, semi-passive table, which is unusual for CP. I'm waiting for a change to a VERY good table I scouted earlier. Button plays a few too many hands, is moderately aggro, but a fairly decent player.

Three limp to Milo in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Milo completes, BB checks.

Flop is 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Nine outs to the nut flush, 3 more to the likely best hand, 2 more to aces up.

Milo bets out, EP (solid, moderately aggressive player) raises, two fold, button calls, Milo calls.

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Milo checks, with the intention of check-raising, EP bets, button raises. I figure myself for the best hand, but know that button plays too loosely preflop, and may occasionally dip into 56s territory. A three-bet loses EP, who is not stupid, and exposes me to calling another raise, so I call, hoping for the overcall. EP obliges.

River is the 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Oddly, I check, as do the others.

Comments?
Old 11-24-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: A5s from the SB flops a monster draw...

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any excuse for this river play? How about the turn bet-call?

Canterbury 8/16. Tight, semi-passive table, which is unusual for CP. I'm waiting for a change to a VERY good table I scouted earlier. Button plays a few too many hands, is moderately aggro, but a fairly decent player.

Three limp to Milo in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Milo completes, BB checks.

Flop is 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Nine outs to the nut flush, 3 more to the likely best hand, 2 more to aces up.

Milo bets out, EP (solid, moderately aggressive player) raises, two fold, button calls, Milo calls.

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Milo checks, with the intention of check-raising, EP bets, button raises. I figure myself for the best hand, but know that button plays too loosely preflop, and may occasionally dip into 56s territory. A three-bet loses EP, who is not stupid, and exposes me to calling another raise, so I call, hoping for the overcall. EP obliges.

River is the 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Oddly, I check, as do the others.

Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really want to just 3 bet this turn. IMO, thinking 56 is seeing monsters, and less likely since you hold a 5 as well. You get the same value if EP folds anyway. Also, it would be sweet if you could get him to fold a set of 2s or 3s. Either way, getting him to fold a hand he should call with, making him call incorrectly (maybe AT?), or charging him the max to draw to a better hand...we need to 3 bet for value. Even if the button does have 56, we still have our flush outs, if he wants to make it more on the turn. We're missing value here.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:20 PM

Couple things here :
An ace gives you a pair of aces, not aces up.
I would three bet the flop, you have a huge draw and great equity three way. This changes how the turn plays, but I would three bet the turn. EP probably has a good ten and I don't think he'll muck.

Bet the river, it is pretty unlikely anyone has a six and you will get many a crying call.

Other than that I would play it like you :P
Old 11-24-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couple things here :
I would three bet the flop, you have a huge draw and great equity three way. This changes how the turn plays, but I would three bet the turn. EP probably has a good ten and I don't think he'll muck.

Bet the river, it is pretty unlikely anyone has a six and you will get many a crying call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, sleepy when I posted. Ignore the aces up outs. Last night I was just thinking straight and flush draws.

Edit: I was not happy about my play.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couple things here :

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I just focused on the turn. I agree with your thoughts on the other streets.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:41 PM

Very few people are betting the river without a straight (ok close to no one) but lots will call with worse hands. bet.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:47 PM

Most likely betting the turn will get a few callers, since they think they are "pot committed" already. I'd bet out the river.