Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Did I overplay QQ?

When villain bets into you on the flop for $4, I'd raise to $10 and see what happens. I'd be inclined to fold if I get a 3-bet push or a cold call of the raise to $10 followed by a $10 or more turn bet. This puts you in for half your stack.

I think low overpairs might call, but might fold. I don't think a hand like 88 3-bet pushes the flop if you raise to $10 very often. I think 66 will fold his OESD, or at least call/check. I think a set or two pair or a huge draw that has an advantage on you if they get all their money in on the flop might push.

The worst that happens is that he cold calls, then bets a $5 or less turn bet with a brick (no flush, not giving 4-to-a-straight). At that point, I think I make a crying call suspecting a flush draw and plan to call a river push on a no-flush river if I think villain bluffs like that with a missed flush. Why "crying"? Because I really would prefer to win with the $10 raise, and barring that just check it to the river and see who wins.

Unfortunately, you really have to go with a read, or at least a gut feeling, if you get cold called on a flop raise to $10. As a general plan, I think I'd try to get to the river cheaply after that, even risking giving a free river card.

I think this is a tough hand because the stack sizes relative to the pot are such that it is very hard not to get pot committed with a set, two pair, OESFD, Ah Kh, or some other hand that has an advantage on you as of the flop.

EDIT: This line will make you vulnerable to a bluff or an overplayed hand like TT or JJ. So, you do need some kind of a read to make a decision if villain doesn't fold your flop raise.