Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Stud 8 hand: low wheel draw hand

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.30 SB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.65 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (8.65 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (10.65 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (12.65 BB)

Anyone play it differently? This feels like a pretty standard hand to me but thought I'd post it anyway in case I'm missing something.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Stud 8 hand: low wheel draw hand

Looks good to me BRL, what part were you concerned about?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:09 PM

A strong case for checking could be made on the river. It's very likely that seat 6 is chasing a flush draw but also hit a low on 6th. I could be raised if he hits his flush. If he doesn't have either the low or the flush, I won't make money anyway.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:16 AM

I think I check sixth. You have a pair of Fours, and the other guy isn't going anywhere. I might also check the river. The bet only gains when the other guy has a smaller two pair or maybe Aces with no low. A lot of the time, you're going to be chopping or he's not going to pay off, and sometimes you'll be beaten. I just don't think the river bet has much value.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:28 AM

What was that bet on 6th for? When your opponent caught a suited brick on fourth and stayed, the most likely reason was that the downcards are suited also. She catches suited low on fifth and an ace on sixth. It looks reasonably likely that you're currently beat both ways and are now drawing to half a pot.

Queens up on the river is worth a crying call against your opponent's very scary board, not a bet.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:46 AM

Given villain's 5th flat call despite given the chance to raise, I'm fairly certain that he has 4low or 4flush. On 6th, he'll have either a made low of a pair of aces plus a 4low 4flush draw. Both of these hands are certainly going to bet if I check, so I'm not saving any money at all by checking. Neither hand are likely to raise me given the strength of my board.

By betting 6th, if I miss and check the river, villain will likely give me a free showdown if he also misses his other two way draw and has just bare aces or just an 8 low, allowing me to escape with half for free. If I check both 6th and the river and the villain can bet out his more marginal hands and I'd forced to fold what might have gotten half.

I think I'd escape with half after a free showdown slightly more often than the number of times he'll raise or if he came in with weird hands like middle pairs that he would have checked twice. Overall, I don't think checking vs. betting will have much of an effect either way.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:59 AM

The paired kings bet and the "villain" flat called. You deduce from this that the villain hasn't yet made a flush.

Put yourself in the villain's situation with a made flush. A rocket scientist with paired bricks bets into both you and someone else showing three wheel cards to an ace. Do I want Einstein to face two more bets and make a correct decision to fold? No! I'd much rather let the apparent made low do the raising, so that Einstein calls one more bet at the time. Maybe I can get him on the installment plan by raising after him, or maybe he'll reraise!

Once the paired bricks drop out, facing a raise from a seeming made low, I don't see much advantage to reraising. I check and call to the end.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:28 PM

I think yo ushould definietly check sixth after villian called both bets on fifth.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:29 PM

He may call you on the river with nothing but a pair , hoping that you are just beting a low.