Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Escaping \"The Moment\" and taking time during important decisions

Kristy Gazes talked about this being a problem in her poker decision-making in the Full Tilt Wynn tournament broadcast. I've heard other players mention it as well.

I've definitely had this problem. I get into the moment and do something like call an all in reraise near the bubble w/ AQo facing 1.4:1 pot odds against a tight opponent and a small, but workable stack. I find when I am playing good poker I'm very in the moment, but the flip side of being in the moment often means I will make these types of important decisions too quickly.

What have other people done to successfully combat this problem? What advice to others have to stop this leak?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Escaping \"The Moment\" and taking time during important decisions

As a novice I had recurrent poker brain farts. After calling all in caught-up-in-the-moment one too many times at a friendly tourney, I realized I had a problem.

It really takes discipline, but it's possible. Right as you're about to reach for your chips, take a second. This is the crucial moment. Really look at whats going on...what cards you ACTUALLY have and how they relate to whats out there and what the action is. It'll take a few seconds, but you won't be like a WSOP wannabe. It will be a moment of being a realist that is seperating yourself from the action and energy of the table.

Practice. At first it will take a few seconds to actually be totally realistic with yourself, but it will become habit. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:58 AM

Ben,

Good question. I don’t have an answer. But, I did read in a book by one of the pros, can’t remember who it was. He said this something like this:

Think about how long you have lasted in a tourney - hours - to get where you are. And you are going to blow it, by not taking a few moments to think about your decision. It’s crazy, but we do it.

Might want to have that thought with you while you play.

RJT
Old 11-08-2005, 09:24 PM

You might consider identifying with the role of an observer-- of your own game. Get on the rail-- in your head-- and observe your play. Does your next play make any sense from that perspective?

You may be surprised to notice that often, it doesn't.