Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: How do I make money through poker?

I do not have poker tracker or Poker ACE HUD or anything like that.
All I have is my brain, and the notes I take on my opponents in the site...

Is it worth getting Poker Tracker, or POKER ACE? Which one should I get? Should I get both?

Are either of these "illegal" and/or banned from the site (be it Party or Pacific, etc.)?

IMHO I think that if you let the information you get from Poker Tracker, et al. influence the poker
decisions you make at the table too much, then you will lose $1,000s had you not even had any "software assistance..."
There are, I'm sure, VERY SPECIFIC situations where the info. that say a Poker Tracker yields (I have no idea what they are, I have only read
posts on here - esp. in the Mid-High stakes forum here on 2 + 2) that can aide in making a decision - say, for example, identifying a player who lays down his Big Blind to a steal raise too often - which would cause you
to lower you blind stealing hand requirement slightly against this person, BUT,
IMO if the info.
you get from PokerTracker causes you to bluff off lots of chips to players Poker Tracker identifies as "weak"/who fold often to aggression (again I have no idea what the ratings are...
VPIP% I think I saw once - What's this? - I have no idea what this means or what any of them mean - It's all greek to me when I hear other players talking about them...), then you are losing a lot of money by relying on
this info. too much...and bluffing at "weak" players too often...

It is a fascinating idea having this info. though, I think they advertise as "having PokerTracker means having the book on your opponents."
Well, I know that I tend to be a "weak player" sometimes and fold to bets
correctly and I tend to avoid/shy away from HU battles ('cause I like
playing a lower variance style mosttimes...), so when I make a hand I AM COUNTING ON SOME POKER TRACKER USER INCORRECTLY USING THE INFO. HE HAS ON ME TO PAY ME OFF MORE THAN HE WOULD HAVE HAD HE NOT "had the book on me."
I think if you're an expert
player, it doesn't really matter having PT, but if you CORRECTLY use the poker tracker info. (which I'm convinced - without ever having used it myself -) that
achieving this correct use ("probably/most likely") is as difficult as learning how to play the game of Limit Hold 'em itself,
- If you correctly can use it - it only increases your win by a small amount...

But, a fraction of a
big bet/hr. at 30/60 on Party (and esp. if you are 2-4 tabling it), then wow - I see what all the fuss is about - PT is great and absolutley indispensible in that case - IF YOU KNOW HOW TO CORRECTLY USE IT that is... - is it easy to achieve this?
...thoughts?
Comments anyone?
Old 11-04-2005, 08:50 PM

definitely get PT. it's good to know vpip's, pfr's and aggression factors of the other players at your table. especially if you're going to multi-table. poker ace is a good software to go along w/ PT. u can use gametime+ for free so getting poker ace isn't such a big deal.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Ed\'s Intro...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to meet just ONE person who has jumped from 10/20 to 150/300 in less then two weeks---------GET REAL

[/ QUOTE ]

hi!

[/ QUOTE ]yessssssssssssssss
Old 11-04-2005, 11:52 PM

I'm pretty sure Ed did not mean to imply that it's THAT easy to just jump from one limit to the next and 'kaboom'...suddenly you're rich.

Some people have done it.
but you still have to be pretty darned good.

Based on the questions you are asking I would say that you are being EXTREMELY optimistic in your goals.

How much online have you even played?
Are you a competent multi-tabler?
How many hands did you play to 'prove' that you are at the long-run and know you are a winning player?

Hopefully you calm down a little bit because it's not quite so easy as just 'showing up and getting rich'. If it was then everyone would already be there...and that simply isn't the case.

If you haven't played much online before then go ahead and start at 2/4 or 3/6 on party....and also learn the in's and out's of the 6-max game.

You still have MUCH to learn in this game.

A more realistic goal for you might be to prove that you can consistently beat the 2/4 and 3/6 games right now.
And then see if you can make it to 10/20 or 20/40 after about 12 months or so.

Even at 3/6 with bonus-whoring and rake-back and what-not it is possible to make $50k/year....this is a pretty good start.
At 5/10 and 10/20 playing multiple tables it is certainly possible to get to $100k/year or more.

Yes, I suppose some people HAVE actually done it faster.
But you haven't even played with poker-tracker or a HUD before. So you are kind of startig from scratch in some respects.

Take a responsible approach to this and you just might get there.

(fwiw - this is the advice i am trying to follow as well....still working on it though)
Old 11-06-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, whenever you take a "bad beat" you know you're in a good game that is profitable...if you are not getting a lot of bad beats where you play, then the games aren't good...

[/ QUOTE ]
If that's the definition of a good game, then follow me around and I'll show you a lot of terrific games.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:19 AM

Win at all cost.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, whenever you take a "bad beat" you know you're in a good game that is profitable...if you are not getting a lot of bad beats where you play, then the games aren't good...

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me crazy, but I prefer winning hands to losing hands.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:16 PM

I don't care whether I win a hand or lose a hand - or win 50 in a row or lose 50 in a row -
I care
about making +EV decisions while making sure that a bunch of opponents at my table are making -EV ones again and again...
You should too.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care whether I win a hand or lose a hand - or win 50 in a row or lose 50 in a row -
I care
about making +EV decisions while making sure that a bunch of opponents at my table are making -EV ones again and again...
You should too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that's most definitely what I care about. That aside, I still prefer to win them. I don't get irked when I get rivered as a 19:1 favourite. I just make a note if it's warranted, and continue to play my best game.

When one truly follows this line of thinking, many leaks fill themselves up.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:32 AM

In live games you are forced to rely on your memory or hand written notes. Things move at a much slower pace, and of course you only play one table at a time. With pt and pahud, all you have to do is open up a table, and in a few minutes you can get a pretty good idea of the quality of the game.

Plus pt will enable you to keep good records so you can pay taxes on all those winnings.