Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 03:18 AM

Default How bad do I suck at poker? Q7o in the BB flops a gutter...

Live 4/8 at Canterbury. Loose-passive game with 5-7 seeing the flop.

Milo is BB with Q7o. 5 limp, SB calls, Milo checks.

Flop is 458r. Milo bets...

I think this is about the worst bet ever. A friend and well-respected poster, thinks it was bad, but only marginally so.

Turn is a 6. Now I check, and it checks to the button, who bets. The plan was to CR, but now, still irritated with myself for betting a gutshot into a field of 6, I discover that I've just called. Lucky for me, these donkeys never fold... Except that this time they all fold except the button. Crap.

River is an A. Nice. I decide to CR the river, and instead I bet (clearly aliens have control of my brain and hand). Button raises, I three bet, he makes it 4 and I call.

Having played correctly preflop (not difficult, mind you), and horribly postflop, I gotta ask, which was worse, the flop bet or the turn call?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: How bad do I suck at poker? Q7o in the BB flops a gutter...

Flop bet....Go for the overcalls on the turn
Old 11-04-2005, 03:25 AM

What's bad about betting the turn?

Once you check the turn and it's bet to your right, you can't raise. I actually like bet/3bet/calling the river since a lot of hands may take a free showdown that would easily pay off.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's bad about betting the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's bad is that I didn't.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having played correctly preflop (not difficult, mind you), and horribly postflop, I gotta ask, which was worse, the flop bet or the turn call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these the only choices? What about the turn check? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't think the gutshot bet is as bad as you say, but if it is as bad as you say, because they just don't fold, then you should definitely bet the turn after you spike. Why would you risk having it get checked through when you have a very strong hand? You can't bluff them, so you have to value bet when you make your hand.

-eric
Old 11-04-2005, 03:35 AM

If you know the donks will call 2 cold on the turn, the call on the turn was worse in terms of ev. I doubt they would though. Even donks get a little suspicious of a check-raise with four to straight. I like the call on the turn, especially after you led the flop. They will think that you are as afraid of the straight out there as they are.

I like the river bet. The donks will be confused and throw in that one more bet for that uber-sized amount of chips in the middle. The button raise...YEAH...you reraise...good. Let's see how much more money we can get the donks to pay. Button 4-bets. Oops, 97 is possible. Oh well, easy call.

Flop bet...marginally bad. One of the loose-passives might raise and make it 2 cold and you might lose a few tag-alongs. If you know everyone will call and not raise your flop bet, not too bad.

I would've checked the flop, but the hand is played pretty well IMO based on opponents, position, and relative position.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:16 AM

the flop bet is the worst IMO, but calling the turn is not nearly as bad as not betting it to begin with.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 AM

flop bet. by far.