Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-03-2005, 01:43 PM

Default To all my friends.... All my friends..

In case you didn't catch it, that's a quote from the classic "Barfly".. What's your 5th street play?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls

4th Street - (6.70 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls

5th Street - (6.35 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]???
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___
Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: To all my friends.... All my friends..

Do we know anything about seat 7? Is he the type who will complete after a limper with (A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Q|7|6|5|3|2)[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? This looks more like (QQ)9 or (A9)9 to me than a made flush. The fourth street raise could easily have been to knock the bring in out since the pot has gotten pretty large.

With no read I think I lead here and call down if raised. I really hate to give a free card here since I think we are often ahead, but very vulnerable. Also, if we bet in this sort of spot it will be a lot harder for the opposition to get away from their marginal hands when we are betting our monsters. Of course, I don't think I have played Stud High in about 8 months, so take this with a grain of salt.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:22 PM

The completion on third makes me think he doesn't have the flush (yet). I put him on a big pair in the hole, say (AA)9 or (QQ)9. I lean toward betting out.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:36 PM

One day you will actually complete with your big pair on 3rd rather than limpraising with it. I know you will.

On 4th, I'd wait to see if he rags off on 5th instead of reraising. A 4-flush is in pretty good shape on his end and I doubt he raises you on 4th with just 9's. I think he has a 4-flush, pocket pair or trips in that order of probability, with 4-flush being most likely. If he bricks on 5th, you bet.

As played, I see no reason to bet 5th. He will bet for you whether he has the flush or not. The question is whether to check call or check fold. If you bet and get raised, it's not that reliable to telling you if he has 4 flush (could have one pair and 4 diamonds).

Go with your gut on this one, but I lean towards check folding 5th as played unless this guy's style of play dictates otherwise.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2005, 02:42 PM

Because you have 2 high diamonds I'd check call 5th here.

If the Kd and the Jd were unaccounted for I'd check fold.

But I'd expect him to have QQ or JJ in the hole. Probably QxQ[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 03:06 PM

I would make a check crying call on fifth, but realize a lot of cards force a sixth street fold. any diamond, 9 and possibly an ace
Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 PM

I would like the LRR better if your suit was live (this would be consistent with you tendency to LRR with 3-flushes). Since your suit is kinda dead here, your hand is absolutely obvious, and that’s bad.

I wouldn’t 3-bet on 4th, but that’s just me.

I can’t see folding on 5th. After limp-re-raising 3rd and 3-betting 4th, the pot is just to big to fold.
Check-calling is my default play here. He will almost always bet, planning to take the free card on 6th if he doesn’t improve.

The real question is, then: Do you bet 6th?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real question is, then: Do you bet 6th?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I play it like you, my answer is no. The reason is most players (in my experience) will raise any hand they want to showdown on 6th here. I'd check, he might bet no matter what which means he's charging himself to draw if that's what he's doing.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One day you will actually complete with your big pair on 3rd rather than limpraising with it. I know you will.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I almost always do. I'm not overly tricky. I have been adding a little deception to my play, attempting more checkraises, particularly in hold 'em, and i've been doing quite well with them. I think trapping players for two bets when they shouldn't put in one is generally a good idea.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Check call. Money is going in regardless whether you are ahead or behind.