Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-02-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Do I suck at 6 Max?

> Alright, I have been playing a little 6 Max lately, and I am getting my ass kicked.
> my 1100 hand sample size is way too small to know anything for sure, but what are the chances this is just variance??

A good chance. But it could mean your not good at 6max also. Keep an eye on it. I was also crushing .5/1 full but I sucked at 6max for a long time. I kept playing it because I couldn't believe it was that hard and I didn't realize or accept that I sucked at it for a long time and I went down a lot.

> I am constantly losing huge pots where I am sure I have the best hand(flopped sets losing to flopped straights, flopped flushes losing to runner-runner full houses, KQ losing to a limped AK)

That could easily be all it is then.

>see how it goes after a a larger sample size?

Yes

> should just accept that I am not a a winning shorthanded player, and move back to fullring where I know I can win?

That's up to you. I won't give up on my SH game.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:34 PM

Lately I've seen lots of posts inmplying that 6-max is a vastly different game. It's really not. Basically play your normal postflop game, and don't call down a lot with A-high. The biggest adjustment you need to make is PF IMO - raise a lot.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I've seen lots of posts inmplying that 6-max is a vastly different game. It's really not. Basically play your normal postflop game, and don't call down a lot with A-high. The biggest adjustment you need to make is PF IMO - raise a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the biggest problem I had with six max was treating it like a much different game. I have started treating it more like a regular game and I had my first up month in Oct since July. One significant thing I do differently is usually play by imagining the top card on the flop is a low card, with some exception for an ace. i.e. I'll often bet middle pair like it was top pair, and I assume a lot of opponents will bet out with middle pair just as often as betting out with top pair. (except the passive guys etc.)
Old 11-02-2005, 12:54 PM

your br should be able to handle a 200BB downswing easy.

try 15k hands at least and come back

i swing up and down 50BB all the time, its nothing
Old 11-02-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is a good time for you to put in some more nudging on the mod board for a split LLSH board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We've got a very solid core of posters here in ML that would be pretty active there, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor can I. I've been nudging, but right now, it's more important for Mr. Weinstock to get the board working properly. There are a few outstanding bugs that he's working on:

1. The appearance of the board in threaded mode. Threads do not appear in chronological order (instead, a quasi-reverse chronological order), and the indentation is sometimes screwy.
2. Hitting the back button on your browser when making a post clears your post. It used to be that you could hit back, then forward, and the text of your post would still be there.
3. If you spend a long time making a post, something times out you won't be able to post it. This is compounded by the fact that if you hit the back button, the text is cleared. Essentially, the more time and effort you put into a post, the more likely you are to lose it all. I encourage you, if you make a long post, to copy the text to the clipboard before you post it.

After these get resolved, then we're looking to split HUSH.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your br should be able to handle a 200BB downswing easy. try 15k hands at least and come back

[/ QUOTE ]
I was down 200 BB before I hit 5k. I bottomed at -458BB after 10.5k. (I think that was the bottom - I'm 100 up from there now with 13k.)